Options

Excellent "real life" 5d3 review (with examples)

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited March 30, 2012 in Cameras
I thought this was a wonderful review, and the included shots are nothing short of incredible. Enjoy! :thumb

http://blog.martinbaileyphotography.com/2012/03/27/podcast-328-canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-digital-slr-review/

Comments

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    I thought this was a wonderful review, and the included shots are nothing short of incredible. Enjoy! thumb.gif

http://blog.martinbaileyphotography.com/2012/03/27/podcast-328-canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-digital-slr-review/

WOW:
    "No Auto-Focus at F8"
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2012
    ???
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2012
    angevin1 wrote: »
    WOW:
    "No Auto-Focus at F8"

I think that's fairly normal, no? Unless I'm misunderstanding the spec, the 1Dx won't AF at f/8, either. It lists "15 to 21 cross-type AF points at f/5.6" but makes no mention of f/8. And as far as I can tell, only the D4 and D800 offer AF at f/8 in the Nikon world, and then only in 11 of the center-most AF points. Everything else lists AF compatibility up to f/5.6.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2012
    ???

It's further down the page you linked
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2012
    I think that's fairly normal, no? Unless I'm misunderstanding the spec, the 1Dx won't AF at f/8, either. It lists "15 to 21 cross-type AF points at f/5.6" but makes no mention of f/8. And as far as I can tell, only the D4 and D800 offer AF at f/8 in the Nikon world, and then only in 11 of the center-most AF points. Everything else lists AF compatibility up to f/5.6.

I don't know. Thats why I posted it so someone more dialed in to these things can tell me. Have to admit, I didn't shoot my D700 very often at f/8. And this 5Dmk2 I have has crappy Af anyway which I rarely use.
    tom wise
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2012
    angevin1 wrote: »
    I don't know. Thats why I posted it so someone more dialed in to these things can tell me. Have to admit, I didn't shoot my D700 very often at f/8. And this 5Dmk2 I have has crappy Af anyway which I rarely use.

The camera always focuses wide open, no matter what you're set to. It stops down for the shot after it has focused. It's one of the reasons kit lens "only" go down to f/5.6 on the long end.

The issue only comes up when using f/4 lenses (or slower) with 2x teleconverters. I believe the Bigma 50-500 is f/6.3 or something on the long end, but its electronics lie to the camera to make it believe it's f/5.6 so the AF will operate.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2012

nod.gif What cab.in.boston said. I don't think it means that if you're using f8 you can't autofocus, but that your lens's maximum aperture has to be wider than f8. Which I believe is most "normal use" lenses unless used with a teleconverter.
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2012

The issue only comes up when using f/4 lenses (or slower) with 2x teleconverters.

Or f5.6 lenses with 1.4x tcs.

eg Canon 100 - 400 which is 5.6 @400 or 400 f5.6 prime or 800 f5.6

Wildlife / birders who use these, but especially the last (having spent ££££ )are not particulary overjoyed that they can't use a 1.4tc ... let alone 2x (with other f4 lenses they might have)

Such things matter, when considering a cam like the 5D3 for better low light performance and IQ ... but FF rather than crop ... especially when 1 series bodies would AF to f8 (centre point)

pp
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2012
    but that your lens's maximum aperture has to be wider than f8.

Magic words! thanks!
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2012
    The camera always focuses wide open, no matter what you're set to. It stops down for the shot after it has focused. It's one of the reasons kit lens "only" go down to f/5.6 on the long end.

The issue only comes up when using f/4 lenses (or slower) with 2x teleconverters. I believe the Bigma 50-500 is f/6.3 or something on the long end, but its electronics lie to the camera to make it believe it's f/5.6 so the AF will operate.

I am amazed at the things that never seem to come across my radar! Thanks!
    tom wise
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,918 moderator
    edited March 29, 2012
    All of the Canon 5D series have been limited to f5.6 for autofocus. Manual focus with camera assist should be supported beyond f5.6.

All of the 1D/1Ds series were limited to f8 for AF, "until" the 1D X, which is also limited to f5.6.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2012
    ...Or, you could just buy a D4 / D800 to shoot at f/8 with autofocus... ;-)

D4 + 200-400 f/4 + 2X TC = WIN.

;-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2012
    You can simply tape a couple of pins of the converter and you'll be OK. Just don't let it hunt, prefocus manually first...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2012
    I thought this was a wonderful review, and the included shots are nothing short of incredible. Enjoy! thumb.gif

Thanks for the link. I think when I get this camera I am going to have to rethink the way I take photos and invest quite some time experimenting. It takes DSLR to a new level, at least for a happy 40D shooter like myself.
  • Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2012
    As I learned elsewhere on this forum recently, the AF is done *before* the aperture is set. None of my Canon bodies (1D- and 5D-series) has any problem with AF when the lens is stopped down to f11 or smaller. I think this limitation is on the widest available aperture, not the actual aperture that is set for any given photo.
  • Options
    holzphotoholzphoto Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2012
    it just means when the biggest aperture is f/8, the camera won't focus.

in other words, the 5d iii will focus w/ a canon 400mm 5.6 at any AV. but put a 1.4x tele converter on it, and you will not have AF.