Options

Canon 60d vs. their rebel series

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited March 30, 2012 in Cameras
Hi all,
I was asked to recommend a camera.
I shoot Oly (which I can't recommend right now) and Canon (5D), I love my full frame body and I highly recommend it, but not so sure I would to someone who is new to photography.
He had already been advised to get a canon 60D. My brother shoots w/ the rebel series and does some unbeleivable work with that though he has outgrown it already.
My question is for someone who is starting out wants an all around camera, for sports, portraits, street, would you recommend the Canon 60D or the Rebel series. He is likely willing to invest in some glass as he learns.
Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• Options
    Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2012
    My question is for someone who is starting out wants an all around camera, for sports, portraits, street, would you recommend the Canon 60D or the Rebel series. He is likely willing to invest in some glass as he learns.

So hard to say, really. Rebels are fine little cameras, but I'd suggest maybe a used 30d or 40d, maybe? A bit more bells and whistles, but without the cost ....
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2012
    IQ will be the same, the AF in the 60D is a bit better, but the biggest thing IMO are the controls and ergonomics. I can't do without the rear thumb wheel, and the 60D fits my hands better. Have him try both in a store. 60D also offers the swivel LCD. If he doesn't care about any of that he can save some money and go with the Rebel.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,918 moderator
    edited March 29, 2012
    ... for sports, portraits, street, would you recommend the Canon 60D or the Rebel series. He is likely willing to invest in some glass as he learns. ...

When you say "sports" I cannot recommend the dRebel series. The 60D AF section is considerably improved over the Rebel series, as is the shutter. The dRebel T2i/T3i are the first to have a very similar AF to the 20D/30D series (finally), but the shutter is still Rebel and limited to 1/200th flash sync. The 60D has 9 - cross-type AF points, versus 1 for the Rebels, and the flash sync is 1/250th, which doesn't sound like ,much of an improvement, but it is. The shot buffer is also much deeper for the 60D. (By all means have them stay away from the dRebels without the 'i' suffix as sports would be pretty frustrating with those bodies.)

The 60D is also much more responsive overall. Responsiveness is related to the frame rate, mirror blackout, shutter lag, etc.

For a better idea about responsiveness, check out these pages, looking at shutter lag and cycle times mostly (but realize there are even more metrics than these):

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E60D/E60DA6.HTM
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/T3I/T3IA6.HTM

In addition to the body, sports lenses are highly recommended for high-school sports and beyond. That's where it can get pricey in any camera line. In the Canon lineup look mostly at the Canon "L" zooms and primes which have ring-USM focus motor technology. Large apertures may additionally be recommended for indoor sports.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2012
    Thank you much guys!
    I can always count on you for some great an detailed answers, specially Ziggy53.
    I have directly forwarded a link to this page so he can read the info himself.

Thanks again.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2012
    By the way a used 30D would not be worth the savings, as it only has 1 usable AF point. The 40D had 9, and was a better camera.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2012
    By the way a used 30D would not be worth the savings, as it only has 1 usable AF point. The 40D had 9, and was a better camera.

I borrowed a D30 a while back, and recall nine points? Same as the 20D, no? Or am I getting old and forgetting something?
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2012
    I borrowed a D30 a while back, and recall nine points? Same as the 20D, no? Or am I getting old and forgetting something?

D30 or 30D?

The 20D and 30D had one cross-type AF sensor in the center, and 8 line-type sensors at the outer points. The line-type sensors are not useful for sports or Servo duty. I also had lousy luck with them for portraits.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited March 29, 2012
    D30 or 30D?

The 20D and 30D had one cross-type AF sensor in the center, and 8 line-type sensors at the outer points. The line-type sensors are not useful for sports or Servo duty. I also had lousy luck with them for portraits.

Sorry. Dyslexic me. 30D. (As an excuse, I was looking at a company D30 and pondering its worth as a Canon loyalty toy to help buy a reporter a new camera.)
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2012
    Hi all,
    I was asked to recommend a camera.
    I shoot Oly (which I can't recommend right now) and Canon (5D), I love my full frame body and I highly recommend it, but not so sure I would to someone who is new to photography.
    He had already been advised to get a canon 60D. My brother shoots w/ the rebel series and does some unbeleivable work with that though he has outgrown it already.
    Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

The 60D offers more features compared to the Rebels - ergonomics, higher FPS, etc. - probably worth it especially if you shoot a lot of sports