Halloween and hello

ScarhartScarhart Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
edited November 11, 2005 in People
I have lurked for a couple of weeks, enjoying the remarkably talented and skilled photography. Thought I'd say hello and add a photo of my son, Simon. He got into the makeup later in the evening and, well, you can see what happened!

Cheers,
Scott

42888258-L.jpg

Comments

• gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2005
    Hi Scott & welcome to dgrin..... the shot's so cool, I think maybe you should darken out the hands too
  • babybluetx23babybluetx23 Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2005
    I DO think darkening the hands out would REALLY make this Pic! That is a REALLY cool shot!
    clap.gif
    Cynthia Cox
    Arlington, Tx
    http://www.innovativeillusionsphoto.com/

OMP member #: 173034

Canon EOS 5D : Bogen 3051 tripod : Bogen Monopod : Bogen 3030 head unit : Canon Speedlight 580EX : Canon EF 28-200 F3.5 : Canon 70-200 f2.8L : Canon 24-70mm F2.8L and other Canon Gear

The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE." - Ernst Haas
  • ScarhartScarhart Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited November 5, 2005
    Thanks for the feedback, folks, and the warm welcome! I thought initially that the hands added a sense of space or scale, and helped balance the face. Without the hands, I'm not sure how to crop the photo, but here's a sharply cropped version that seems to do the trick. I would appreciate any feedback.

Cheers,
    Scott

43175159-L.jpg
    edited November 10, 2005
    Edited this post after some feedback locally, but realized an edit wouldn't bump it up. If you want to see what Simon looked like before going crazy with the make-up, here's the link.
  • leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2005
    I like the photo cropped as it is in the original...but would black out the hands.

I like the "floating head" of this photo...and think it would work as is (being able to barely see the shirt) or completely blacked out.

I'm not thrilled with the hands though. BUT -- that's just how _I_ see the photo. Don't let folks talk you out of your art unlsss _you_ are convinced of a new cirection.

Lee
  • StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2005
    I tend to agree with the others about blacking out the hands on the original. I think just his head on the full black matte leaves you wondering. I just love his eyes! Overall an excellent shot and something to save for his future (torment :): ).

Laughing.gif they are so funny when they are that age. One day I was driving to town with my nephew (3) and son (2) in the back seat. When I looked in the rear view mirror, somehow one of them had gotten hold of a tube of mascara. One had a large black unibrow and the other had black lips. Good thing I had my camera handy.
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
    edited November 11, 2005
    Thanks for the feedback, folks. Here's the original framing with hands out photo for comparison:
    44038594-L.jpg
    Laughing.gif they are so funny when they are that age. One day I was driving to town with my nephew (3) and son (2) in the back seat. When I looked in the rear view mirror, somehow one of them had gotten hold of a tube of mascara. One had a large black unibrow and the other had black lips. Good thing I had my camera handy.
    Sounds like a very funny photo and one that would be nice to see if you have it handy!

Cheers,
    Scott
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2005
    Hi Scarhart wave.gif welcome to dgrin.. glad you delurked :D