Options

Studio Size Advice

BBattenfeldBBattenfeld Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited April 1, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
Hey guys, so I'm looking into getting my very first studio of my own and want to hear what some people think about minimum size requirements. I will be doing primarily less-traditional portrait work, and probably a decent amount of bands. I found a very cool place, in the art district of my city(buffalo), 5 min walk from where I live. The dimensions were slimmed down to about 725 sq feet (about 35 x 21) with 11 ft ceilings (and the 35 ft wall is brick which I love). I was hoping more for around 900 so I could have more of a 30 x 30 space, but I'm thinking I should be able to make what is there work. Anybody think I might be cutting it a little too close to do full length small groups (like bands)? This location is truly IDEAL because of the location, security, proximity to where I live, cost, and amenities like bathroom and off street parking so I would love for this to come together, but I don't want to be kicking myself because I don't quite have enough room down the road.

Comments

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2012
    Ha! How many band's you ever seen stuffed...STUFFED on a 6x11 staqe...Sounds like a great space!
    tom wise
  • Options
    JamesbjenkinsJamesbjenkins Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2012
    angevin1 wrote: »
    Ha! How many band's you ever seen stuffed...STUFFED on a 6x11 staqe...Sounds like a great space!

Second that. This opportunity sounds like a winner for you! If you're leasing, you have absolutely nothing to lose in the next 12 months. If you're buying, you already said it's prime time location, so reselling won't be a problem.

Why are you still waiting on this? mwink.gif
    Proofing: clients.captured-photos.com
    Facebook: Like Me || Twitter: Follow Me
    Gear: Lots of Nikon bodies & glass, an office full of tools and toys
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2012
    35x21x11 is not too much (especially for groups), but it should do.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2012
    Nothing wrong with the size....so my advice is for lighting support...do not use standard straight stands... if you can afford it get a track system for your lights if this is out of reach then get boom stands so you have total control over lighting...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited March 31, 2012
    Thanks for the input guys. Not waiting on me, waiting for the final floor plans to be sent over(newly renovated building). From there I will probably be moving on it, and yes I'll be looking into adapting my lighting scenarios around what the space offers
  • Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2012
    First thing that comes to mind is wondering if you have much experience with photographing Bands for PROFIT?
    Everyone I have spoken to gives me the impression their enthusiasm for them to get good pics and their ability to pay are at pretty distant ends of the scale.

If you have established yourself with PAYING band Clients, you are on the right track. If so far you have been giving your work away or for less than a professional business rate, I would urge caution of the highest order.
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2012
    Glort wrote: »
    First thing that comes to mind is wondering if you have much experience with photographing Bands for PROFIT?
    Everyone I have spoken to gives me the impression their enthusiasm for them to get good pics and their ability to pay are at pretty distant ends of the scale.

If you have established yourself with PAYING band Clients, you are on the right track. If so far you have been giving your work away or for less than a professional business rate, I would urge caution of the highest order.

I don't by any means plan on having income from bands being the driving force of my business. I'll be doing primarily single portraits. That being said, I'm highly involved in the local music scene here(top notch IMO), have some paying bands lined up(not incredible, but paying), and shoot for a popular local music blog, so I KNOW I will be shooting bands from time to time. Are they a significant part of my business model? NO...I will be shooting them though, and of course need to do it right if I'm not shooting on location.