Shrimp Baiting, or Rec Shrimping

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited November 7, 2005 in Sports
43070416-L.jpg

I found them, finally, I found them. For 60 days in the early fall, in So Carolina, the public can purchase a Shrimp Baiting License to catch shrimp, not to be sold. I had not noticed them in recent years, but I could tell they were very active as the boat landings are full of boat trailers.

I found these as close as the Charleston Harbor. That is the Charleston skyline with the small boats that go out. Their lights make like a small city of shrimping boats.

The season ends Tuesday.

ginger
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• babybluetx23babybluetx23 Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2005
    hey Ginger....lovely Pic, One question???? Did you do any post production on this pic or is it Raw? reason I ask is it seems there is some noise in the pic. Any way to eliminate it via Paint shop or photoshop? Otherwise lovely photo! nice colors.....gives you a feeling of peace.
    Cynthia Cox
    Arlington, Tx
    http://www.innovativeillusionsphoto.com/

OMP member #: 173034

Canon EOS 5D : Bogen 3051 tripod : Bogen Monopod : Bogen 3030 head unit : Canon Speedlight 580EX : Canon EF 28-200 F3.5 : Canon 70-200 f2.8L : Canon 24-70mm F2.8L and other Canon Gear

The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE." - Ernst Haas
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2005
    Cynthia, I did do more post on that one than I did on the other one. But the ISO on this one was at 1600. It is not underexposed, actually, if I remember the RAW photo is probably lighter than this one. I can redo it.

Another thing, if I can stay awake, I hope to get another photo of this. The season closes Tues. I have something tiring to do this morning. But I plan to try to get back there this evening.

I don't have a tripod right now, but I do have my monopod??? I can only try.

ginger (thanks for looking.......etc. I never thought to make this anything more than a record shot, I will try.)
    edited November 5, 2005
    43102795-L.jpg

43102797-L.jpg

These were done very fast this morning. And I have to leave. I have been planning this for months, I just couldn't find these guys, the boats. Last night I had walked out with only my long 400 mm lens, suddenly it was almost dark and they were there. I used a post, etc. To prevent blur, but I will say that there is a slim amt of shake in both of these. And they are both at 1600 ISO. That was my only chance, but I don't understand why I can't use it, actually. What is 1600 good for, and especially in the 20D if one can't use it.

Anyway, Bill brought in a HUGE tripod from his work, my camera did screw on. I will go back over the weekend and use the timer.

Hopefully I can "reshoot", but it is cloudy right now. Hopefully they will be there.....................

thanks for stopping, commenting, etc. The one I put up last night, first one here, it is better as it is a bit later and the shrimpers lights are on. To me that is the coolest part.

ginger (The shake makes me sick! And whoever took the head off of my tripod can burn in ............... the way I feel right now. I also need another release. But I am sending my camera in for repairs in the next week :cry while it is under warranty. So I don't want to order stuff now......... I have a tiny bit of money, about 100.00 for sensor cleaner and other things I need. I could order the ball head, but I won't have the camera. Have to go!)
  • babybluetx23babybluetx23 Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2005
    Hmmmm for some reason the Raws look noisy too........What is the EXIF data on these Photos?
    I DO like the Post prod. Better, but for some reason the photos have a lot of noise in them? I have a funny feeling it was a camera setting you had it on.
    Cynthia Cox
    Arlington, Tx
    http://www.innovativeillusionsphoto.com/

OMP member #: 173034

Canon EOS 5D : Bogen 3051 tripod : Bogen Monopod : Bogen 3030 head unit : Canon Speedlight 580EX : Canon EF 28-200 F3.5 : Canon 70-200 f2.8L : Canon 24-70mm F2.8L and other Canon Gear

The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE." - Ernst Haas
    edited November 5, 2005
    It very much could be, Cynthia. Probably it was. But the shake messes them up in the first place.

I took more tonight with Bill's mega tripod. Nice sunset, but was still using the 400, hoping for rec fishing boats, there were a few, but the photos have to be much better. One, the ISO was 200, I think.

ginger
  • BaumannBaumann Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited November 7, 2005
    hey Ginger....lovely Pic, One question???? Did you do any post production on this pic or is it Raw? reason I ask is it seems there is some noise in the pic. Any way to eliminate it via Paint shop or photoshop? Otherwise lovely photo! nice colors.....gives you a feeling of peace.

i don't know about Paintshop, but there is a product called Noise Ninja, that is very effective at reducing/eliminating noise that can be used as a plugin in photoshop (CS2 anyway, not sure about elements). It can also be run as a standalone application. I use it to clean up my iso3200 pics on my 20d.
    You can check it out at http://www.picturecode.com