Options

Just Ruby

Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
edited April 2, 2012 in People
I would like all your thoughts. Anything that could make this better, or is it just fine as it is. It may well be my portrait competition entry at camera club this month.

7030179465_ccb5f92637_o.jpg
30-3-2012 Ruby Beautiful by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2012
    I would tone down the area of her ear which blends in with the background and washes out...cute little one....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2012
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    I would tone down the area of her ear which blends in with the background and washes out...cute little one....

Thanks. I PP'd it to be quite bright. There is separation , however. I will see how it prints (as it will often be a touch darker in print) and adjust if necessary.

Thanks. :)
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited April 1, 2012
    Great shot and really cool processing. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2012
    kdog wrote: »
    Great shot and really cool processing. thumb.gif

Thank you. :)
  • Options
    CowboydougCowboydoug Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2012
    my eyes are drawn right to her eyes... i'd call it a winner...
    - Just a thought.... maybe soften her nostrils just a smidgen.... maybe to same level as her lips... what do you think?
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    Certified Journeyman Commercial Photographer
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2012
    Cowboydoug wrote: »
    my eyes are drawn right to her eyes... i'd call it a winner...
    - Just a thought.... maybe soften her nostrils just a smidgen.... maybe to same level as her lips... what do you think?

That's a possibility...thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2012
    If you are happy with it that is all that matters. For a competition print it depends on the judges. Are these truly professional photographer judges or amateur photo judges? A professional judge would not like the loss of detail in the whites, the distracting black straps that are the odd color so they draw your eye away from the subject and not big on nostril shots. They like to see children photographed from above camera angle rather than below and finally subject placement in the frame.

Amateur judges would see past all of the above and love the eyes and emotion. So pick your judges and shoot for them.

Hope that doesn't confuse the waters and helps.

PS she is quite the cutie and those eyes by theirselves are award winners.
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2012
    Hackbone wrote: »
    If you are happy with it that is all that matters. For a competition print it depends on the judges. Are these truly professional photographer judges or amateur photo judges? A professional judge would not like the loss of detail in the whites, the distracting black straps that are the odd color so they draw your eye away from the subject and not big on nostril shots. They like to see children photographed from above camera angle rather than below and finally subject placement in the frame.

Amateur judges would see past all of the above and love the eyes and emotion. So pick your judges and shoot for them.

Hope that doesn't confuse the waters and helps.

PS she is quite the cutie and those eyes by theirselves are award winners.

Purely non-professional judges. In our club, the competitions are scored by the members, so every member present gives a score and we have an average for the final results. They might not like the bright sections, but then they are not actually blown or lacking in detail...it is still there. We shall see when I test print if it looks less bright and is then better.

For the pose itself, they liked a similar shot last year:

6223115368_cb73482593_n.jpg
    Ruby 50mm right space crop by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

but it did need a little more space to "think" into.

We will see...always a possibility I will change my mind. :)

Cheers
  • Options
    mjoshi123mjoshi123 Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2012
    bit too overexposed - tone it down a bit so more details can be seen on her face.