Options

5D II Versus MF

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited April 2, 2012 in Cameras
Just thought I would post this little tid bit. yesterday I had a nice visit with another photographer who has a Leaf 22mp back on a Mamiya 646 something.

We did a real quick and dirty ( read not scientific at all, total time 4 minutes) comparison shoot. This was just to get a look at the MF images and see what if any differences could be easily seen.

The Leaf did render the color differently. Not necessarily bad just different. I could see little difference in detail. His other camera is a Nikon D200 (I think it's a D200) but I do remember it is an older body with 10mp.

He was actually surprised at the QC of the 5D II. He has been used to comparing his older 10mp DLSR against the Leaf.

Not saying a 5D II is equal or better than MF overall, but If I had a choice of an older MF digital back or a newer Canon or Nikon 35mm DLSR it would be a no brainier. The newer offerings from both Canon and Nikon (and others) will be a better more versatile camera not even looking at the lower price tag, without sacrificing image quality.

Sam

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited March 31, 2012
    Good to know, Sam. I've always wondered about the MF/Leaf setups.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,912 moderator
    edited March 31, 2012
    The Leaf Aptus series digital backs do a nice job at base ISO. With the Leaf 22 backs, anything beyond ISO 200 and you lose advantage compared to the Canon 5D MKII sensor (by most measures).

That said, I do lust for a Leaf Aptus II 12R, 80MP, rotating back, on a Hasselblad body and some nice lenses. mwink.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    The Leaf Aptus series digital backs do a nice job at base ISO. With the Leaf 22 backs, anything beyond ISO 200 and you lose advantage compared to the Canon 5D MKII sensor (by most measures).

That said, I do lust for a Leaf Aptus II 12R, 80MP, rotating back, on a Hasselblad body and some nice lenses. mwink.gif

Ah yes a Leaf Aptus II 12R, 80MP........... That is a different horse of a different color. Unfortunately I have already committed one kidney for the purchase of a Canon 5D III, so I will have to pass, (barring I ever win the lottery). Of course I would probably need to buy a small Cray to go along with the increased processing demands.

Sam
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2012
    Sam wrote: »
    He was actually surprised at the QC of the 5D II. He has been used to comparing his older 10mp DLSR against the Leaf.

To be fair, the D200 did not have a good sensor. So unfortunately he has been in the dark about DSLR advancements.

The 21mp vs 22mp results don't really surprise me, except for the fact that I would have expected maybe a little better quality from the MF lenses. However, the 5DII is very forgiving on lenses.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2012
    To be fair, the D200 did not have a good sensor. So unfortunately he has been in the dark about DSLR advancements.

The 21mp vs 22mp results don't really surprise me, except for the fact that I would have expected maybe a little better quality from the MF lenses. However, the 5DII is very forgiving on lenses.

Yes he was in the dark about the newer offerings available and the current IQ. While the Leaf 22mp MF may offer something in the IQ department the nonscientific quick comparison seems to say if your going to buy into MF you better spend the money necessary to get into the 40mp to 50mp newer sensors.

If you need to search for the IQ difference the current 35mm DLSR's are much more versatile at far less money.

Sam