Options

Mistakes

CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
edited April 8, 2012 in Other Cool Shots
An abstract.

Abstract-XL.jpg

Originally, it wasn't meant as an abstract. I was photographing a cactus in bloom and accidentally tripped the cable release as I moved the tripod and camera. More than once I've found such mistake shots interesting and worked them up. This one got metamorphosed in Color Efex Pro with some of the filters I don't usually use.

Does anyone else have mistake shots they kind of like? Feel free to post them here.

Comments

• Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2012
    Hey.... that looks like fireworks in high wind with a long exposure.. :D

http://ragspix.smugmug.com/Events/1005-Kaboom-Fireworks/DSC5639/876231532_HnLss-XL-1.jpg
    Rags
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2012
    If my mistakes were as pretty as this I would have abstracts all over my house! :D
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2012
    Thanks for the comments!
  • Options
    RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2012
    Random results can often lead to long term projects, creative direction, and entirely new styles. There has been some recent work published in LensWork along that same vein. Not with results that look like this, but accidental images that led to multi-year projects exploring the technical and creative expression. Right now this image stands by itself quite well. My question for Don: Are you going to do more?
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2012
    RyanS wrote: »
    My question for Don: Are you going to do more?

I'll certainly be making more mistakes. :D And sometimes finding them interesting and working them up.

I take a fair number of purposefully "wrong" shots...slow handheld shots while moving the camera, long exposures while zooming the lens, etc. But those aren't truly random. I'm not sure how I'd go about taking truly random images.
  • Options
    Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2012
    Cornflake wrote: »
    I'm not sure how I'd go about taking truly random images.

Give your camera to a four-year-old.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • Options
    rbtrbt Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2012
    I think the shot is great. I like the pastel colors and the 3 dimensional feel.
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2012
    What a great mistake clap.gif Do it again thumb.gif

I just finished editing a 'mistake', but it's certainly not as good as this.
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2012
    rbt, Mary, thanks very much for the comments. It makes you wonder when a mistake is better than the correct photo you took of the same subject. :D
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2012
    I was thinking fireworks as well. Looks so much like em. Complete with smoke and such at first glance.
    Result works decent as an abstract.

I have been playing with various shapes, colors and blur with my camera phone. Kinda interesting results occur by rapid rotations or other erractic motions of the phones camera. Tried it with my SLR but was concerned about the cameras health. Even had it shut off by itself when I "shook" it apparently too much. That was unsettling :nonolol3.gif

I don't have a sorta similar result like yours as a mistake that I can put my hands on right now but there was this one that came out very unexpected / unintentional that was, I thought, worth exploring. I also thought about attempting something like it again to see if I could actually pull off something worth looking at. I am fairly certain I could not get this close on purpose if I tried and I have thought about it several times to try but ultamitly thought no way I get as decent. Maybe I need to stop thinking that way and just give it a go thumb.gif
    300875560_iUYWR-M.jpg
    Michael
  • Options
    dave6253dave6253 Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2012
    Ok Cornflake. I'll play along. Most of my shots could be classified as mistakes anyway, but there are 2 that even I was able to recognize as such.

1. Loose Tripod
    1191496892_2nAYn-L-1.jpg
    It was -20 degrees F when I was shooting this long exposure of the Hermosa Cliffs along the Million Dollar Highway north of Durango, Colorado. During the exposure the loose tripod caused the camera to slowly tilt. Not sure if I just didn't tighten it properly or if the extreme cold had something to do with it.

2. Psychedelic Canyon
    i-Zn2Drvc-L.jpg
    Photomatix Pro tried it's best to merge 4 exposures, even though one didn't belong in this group of brackets. I realized my mistake, but couldn't bring myself to destroy this one, even though it's icky. I couldn't create this again if I tried.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited April 8, 2012
    OK, so here's one I posted a long time ago, when I had no idea how to use flash properly:

15363948_t2VFJ-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2012
    DaddyO, Dave, Richard, these are all very interesting. I've also combined mismatched images in Photomatix, sometimes with intriguing results.