Options

Senior portraits...Megan

zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
edited April 10, 2012 in People
Very shy girl, but really a lot of fun once she relaxed.
Natural light, d3 and 85 1.4 shot at 1.8.

950proD3R9388pp-L.jpg

950D3R9122-L.jpg

950proD3R9149pp-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    mjoshi123mjoshi123 Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2012
    I like this set better than your previous sepia one, in this her skin looks much more natural. Beautiful girl.
  • Options
    wave01wave01 Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2012
    i do like these nicely done 1 is my favourite
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2012
    Really like the skin tones on these. Almost looks like a little TRD?
    I like the second shot best. I think its the tug on the hair that sells it to me. A slight bend in that right elbow would have put it over the top. Thats being picky though.

I get consumed when shooting and often don't realize when a subject has slid themselves out of the desired pose and into something else. I get focused in on hand placement maybe....and they straighten a joint that was previously bent. It's a lot to think about.

Thanks for sharing.thumb.gif
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited April 3, 2012
    Cute! #1 is the money shot. #2 is good too, but that busy graffiti is doing nothing for her.
  • Options
    GothamGotham Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2012
    Very nice shots. It looks like you did a great job of getting her comfortable. My only criticism is that with her shape face, I think short lighting would have been more flattering (tough with natural light, so perhaps some flashes would have helped).
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2012
    mjoshi123 wrote: »
    I like this set better than your previous sepia one, in this her skin looks much more natural. Beautiful girl.

15524779-Ti.gif

I love these, Mike - tons of personality, and the "all one colour" thing I felt in the previous shot is a non-issue in any of these. #1 is awesome - the kind of shot I aspire to! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2012
    Thanks to everyone who took the time to comment, appreciate them all.
    What is a TRD?
    I have to confess I don't pay that much attention to posing, I am a stickler for finding the light, then finding a background to put my subject into where they will look their best.
    I place them in the frame where I want them and tell them to do whatever comes into their head, when the face looks good I click. They say what should I do, I say "I don't care". Then I interact with them to get the looks I want.
    ....so yeah I often discover later that some body parts didn't end up in the best places/orientation :).
    I take a lot of pictures. In a two hour portrait shoot it is not uncommon for me to take over 400 pictures.
    One of the reasons I have gone to mostly natural light, much different atmosphere to the shoots.

If you don't like the graffiti you would hate the rest of her gallery....she was all about it.

Yes her face is quite round, and I did have to coach her about "locking in" to the camera. Angles were her friend. I should pay more attention to the short lighting, I will do that next time I shoot a round faced girl, good reminder.

Thanks, 1 was one of those shots where you are walking along and they just hit a spot where they look good and you freeze them. Take a quick shot and move on, this one came out nice.

Here is the rest of her gallery if anyone fancies a look:http://alloutdoor.smugmug.com/Other/Megan/22219100_6D9dHP#!i=1774559525&k=z2PmxFx
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2012
    zoomer wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone who took the time to comment, appreciate them all.
    What is a TRD?
    I take a lot of pictures. In a two hour portrait shoot it is not uncommon for me to take over 400 pictures.

TRD is a mispell....Laughing.gif....I meant TRA. Totally Rad Actions - photoshop actions. The finishing has echoes of their "pool party" action.

400 frames in two hours? Sheesh.eek7.gif

I thought I was bad. Im grabbing ~100 per hour on average. I can't stand wading through that many files to edit.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2012
    No worries, I can't type either. I think what you are seeing is one of the filters in Lightroom, messes with the contrast a bit.

When I use off camera flash I shoot about the same amount 150-200.
    With natural light the count goes way up. I delete most of them in camera...it goes really quick.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2012
    By looking at her images one would never guess she is shy. Nice job. Wish I could find fault so I could say something other than "nice job". :D

Sam
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2012
    Beautiful series throughout.

You definitely got her personality and the skin tones are flat perfect!thumb.gif
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif

I love these, Mike - tons of personality, and the "all one colour" thing I felt in the previous shot is a non-issue in any of these. #1 is awesome - the kind of shot I aspire to! thumb.gif

15524779-Ti.gif They all look good, but #1 is the one I would print HUGE for the wall, or to display in the studio if you have one. Those eyes are incredible!

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    avangardphotoavangardphoto Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited April 10, 2012