Canon 5D Mark III vs Nikon 800

13»

Comments

• Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2012
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    ...Actually, at least for me, one of the most interesting comments in the vid where one of the 'togs said that it was important to go to a gig with the really expensive equipment because of the impression it makes.
    Happens all the time. Uncle bobs often show up with 1Ds mk3's, 1D mk4's, D3s / D3X An900's....you name it!

Doesn't faze me at all. I even try not to have to get out the 70-200, cause it's so heavy. I go into each job just knowing that there's a reason the client hired me instead of that uncle bob. There's a reason my photography is worth thousands of dollars to them. I lost count of how many times I've used ~$3-4K worth of gear to school an uncle bob with $10+K worth of gear.

It sounds pompous and egotistical to say it like that, but honestly how else can you go into each gig with confidence, and perform well? I'm my own worst critic and I kick myself all day long for missing this or that camera setting or moment; but I always end up doing better on average...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2012
    I don't think the 'tog in the video is worried about Uncle bobs, he looks like a pretty successful commercial phtographer and was talking about how his clients view things. Showing up on a gig with a bag full of 'blads seems to be part of his marketing even though he could probably do the shoot with a Brownie.:D

Happens all the time. Uncle bobs often show up with 1Ds mk3's, 1D mk4's, D3s / D3X An900's....you name it!

Doesn't faze me at all. I even try not to have to get out the 70-200, cause it's so heavy. I go into each job just knowing that there's a reason the client hired me instead of that uncle bob. There's a reason my photography is worth thousands of dollars to them. I lost count of how many times I've used ~$3-4K worth of gear to school an uncle bob with $10+K worth of gear.

It sounds pompous and egotistical to say it like that, but honestly how else can you go into each gig with confidence, and perform well? I'm my own worst critic and I kick myself all day long for missing this or that camera setting or moment; but I always end up doing better on average...

=Matt=
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2012
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    I don't think the 'tog in the video is worried about Uncle bobs, he looks like a pretty successful commercial phtographer and was talking about how his clients view things. Showing up on a gig with a bag full of 'blads seems to be part of his marketing even though he could probably do the shoot with a Brownie.:D

For commercial / fashion / editorial photography, indeed I can see how packing MF can be a status symbol. An un-necessary one if you're TRULY successful, but still one that many successful / truly successful photogs choose to tout.

And yeah those photogs don't have to worry about uncle bobs. But does showing up with MF give them (the impression of) an edge over their competition? Probably not as much as the photographers seem to think, in the client's eyes. I dunno, maybe just owning it helps you go into the job with confidence, which shows. I only do a little commercial photography here and there, though, nothing more than ~$10-20K per year... So trust the other guys, not me. ;-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2012
    Meh.
    study.JPG

d.JPG

philly_hdr.JPG

parker.JPG

parker_crop.JPG
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • naknak Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2012

=Matt=

They hired you to get everything, and because you're a proper professional you can get everything. Uncle Bob shoots only what he likes and gets whatever he gets.

There's good Uncle Bobs and bad ones. The good ones are shooting their style, their art for the love of it and for the joy that sharing the results can bring. They shoot with zero pressure, that's the pro's problem. The shoot with top-drawer gear (like a 5D and L glass) so that they never (or rarely) bump into limitations with the equipment. All the flaws come strictly from the user, every flaw is a call to do better. A good Uncle Bob gets out of the way so that the pro can do their job.

Bad Uncle Bobs? We don't need to go into that much negativity here.

So when a pro sees an Uncle Bob, they ought not worry. But check which kind before dismissing them. Because if you are at an event with a camera in your hand and somebody else is the one getting paid, you're an Uncle Bob.
  • insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2012
    Looks like another obvious win for the D800.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/5DIII-D800/
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2012
    insanefred wrote: »
    Looks like another obvious win for the D800.

Heh, taking a glance at the review, the above remark must be sarcastic.

Guy needs to RTFM.

"I'd prefer for this to work like it did before on the Mark II, whereby you could just press the 'Multi-controller' (joystick) and move the focusing points, as apposed to now having to use a two-step 'AF Point Selection' followed by the 'Multi-controller' to set your desired focusing point."

You can do that on the Mk III. It's a setting, just like it was on the Mk II.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2012
    Heh, taking a glance at the review, the above remark must be sarcastic.

At first I was confused myself, til every single photo was MKIII, lol.

Although, if you see the comparisons on the shadow noise of D800 vs MKIII, the MKIII gets horridly trampled. D800 vs MKIII, its a noise bloodbath :[ I really do wish Canon would address the shadow noise in their sensors; its a nasty issue.

Overexposing 1 stop then shifting it down a stop seems is a good work around though, if you shoot RAW. With highlight tone priority if JPEG.

"I'd prefer for this to work like it did before on the Mark II, whereby you could just press the 'Multi-controller' (joystick) and move the focusing points, as apposed to now having to use a two-step 'AF Point Selection' followed by the 'Multi-controller' to set your desired focusing point."

You can do that on the Mk III. It's a setting, just like it was on the Mk II.

Yeah, I use it exclusively :) Its very convenient. However, swapping between focus group modes is now 2-step instead of just a single button click. That I wish could be a single button again since I constantly go between center AF spot and larger area AF groups.
  • lightdrunklightdrunk Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited April 27, 2012
    Differences Seem Miniscule
    Besides, I have a bunch of Nikon lenses and a switch to Cannon would have cost too much. It's good that the cameras compete: keeps them sharp and innovative.