Options

Considering 2nd shooting. Tips?

MadmodMadmod Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
edited April 9, 2012 in Weddings
I am considering 2nd shooting or 3rd shooting for weddings. Any tips on what main shooters are looking for in a second? What should I look for in a main shooter? Really any general info on trying to become a second shooter would be awesome. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    crimsonwinecrimsonwine Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited April 4, 2012
    Good question! I am too...hope someone can help us both.... :)
  • Options
    WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2012
    I second shoot/assist quite a few weddings for a photog here in town. I second shoot during the ceremony and maybe grab shots of the guys getting ready. During the reception, bride and groom and formals I help with lighting and other stuff. My goal is to really know what the main photog is looking for in lighting and set ups. I then start getting ready and putting light where it needs to go before I am even asked....it is awesome when she doesn't have to worry about things as much. We have worked together so much that we have the flow down and weddings are always a blast.

When you are looking for a main to work with I would look for someone that has a personality you can work with. My main gets hyper focused at times during weddings (understandably) and I try to keep it light so she can have fun. It's a blast!

I am not sure if this helped you much. But it is my 2¢
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2012
    Any info is super awsome and thanks for the reply! Anybody else?
  • Options
    NagoC50NagoC50 Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2012
    I've second shot many and find it really enjoyable. I know my skills have improved dramatically since I started. Before working together the first time, we had a lunch meeting and specifically discussed roles, expectations, etc. Personally, I can't recommend this enough if you're new at this. I don't think it's a coincidence that this turned out to be the main that calls me most often. Once the show starts, it's like a roller coaster heading down the first hill -- there's no stopping and little, if any, chance to talk. After shooting a few, I realized that this "rush" is what has drawn me to wedding photography.

Like Wachel, the main I work for most often expects me to cover portions that he can't -- prior to ceremony it's mostly groom/groomsmen and detail shots. I will work the balcony and back of church during the ceremony. Opposite side of the aisle, looking for a different view (parents and guest reactions, etc.) I've always tried to position myself so that I am not in his shot (one of the more satisfying moments was when I realized the main was trying to stay out of the shot I was working -- since he was confident I would get it). I set up/assist/hold lights during any posed shots, help assemble groups, etc. Offer to act as a sherpa whenever needed as we move from location to location. Reception is very similar to ceremony -- we work different angles, points of view. At reception, before guests enter, I tend to immediately roam the room for detail shots while the main will set lights for when dancing begins. As for other tips, time sync your cameras if you carry more than one body and also to your main's cameras. Really know your ISO limits for your cameras. How high can you go and get usable image? Never promote yourself. You are there as a representative of the main.

As for what should you look for in a main? Depends on your expectations and it would definitely be smart to clarify before beginning. Will your role really be to assist with bags, gear, hold lights and the second shooting is really "secondary" or is it vice versa? Are you comfortable with either situation? Will you be able to use some images for your portfolio? Are you going to be paid or is this gratis for experience?

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2012
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2012
    I am really looking to get paid a very little amount. I am shooting a crop body now and I thought if the main could cover the price of me renting a full frame body and let me use some of my images in my portfolio. Would that be to much to ask?

How important is it that both main, and second shoot the same brand(Nikon, Canon)? If there are any main photogs reading this. Should there be alot of on camera flash in my portfolio before I try and get with a main shooter?
  • Options
    avangardphotoavangardphoto Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited April 6, 2012
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2012
    Madmod wrote: »
    I am really looking to get paid a very little amount. I am shooting a crop body now and I thought if the main could cover the price of me renting a full frame body and let me use some of my images in my portfolio. Would that be to much to ask?

How important is it that both main, and second shoot the same brand(Nikon, Canon)? If there are any main photogs reading this. Should there be alot of on camera flash in my portfolio before I try and get with a main shooter?

It is moderately important, but I certainly wouldn't switch to Canon just for one other photographer. (I'd switch if my entire studio asked me to, but that's my full-time career, kind of a different situation)

overall, I would try and set your long-term aspirations as little higher. That's my only advice. If you set your goal to just be a free rental of some full-frame gear, you'll gain lots of experience but after a while you'll definitely get tired of just breaking even, especially for 8-10+ hours work...

As a good, solid second shooter I would set your sights to own a full set of fulll-frame gear, a backup crop sensor camera at least, (Meaning, don't sell off your crop sensor just to afford your full-frame sensor) ...and of course get as much experience as possible under your belt.

This way, in the long run, you can command a decently high price, and you can deliver on that value. And from there, as long as it's a side job, you're in the gravy. Every hour you work goes towards buying yourself more gear! (Well, in an ideal world Laughing.gif)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2012
    I am glad you replied,I value your opinion. How would I approach/find a main who maybe looking for a second shooter? I really really want to work with someone who is established or do I have to start with someone who is not so established?
    Sorry for all the questions, I just want to know what I am in store for before I go out and try and find some second shooting work.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2012
    I am glad you replied,I value your opinion. How would I approach/find a main who maybe looking for a second shooter? I really really want to work with someone who is established or do I have to start with someone who is not so established?
    Sorry for all the questions, I just want to know what I am in store for before I go out and try and find some second shooting work.

I think as far as those two options you mentioned- I'd take either one, depending on what I could find. Obviously go for #1 option, but #2 is fine if you're good friends.

Either way, I would just try and be active in any local communtiy. Around So Cal, that's pretty easy, but elsewhere you might have to look a little harder. The internet is awesome, though! On places like the School, you can find other photographers almost EVERYWHERE. (And it's easy since they have search-by-area type features...)

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2012
    Ok, I put an email out today and I am going to make a few calls tomorrow and see what is out there. I will let you know how it goes and thank you for your time!
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2012
    Ok, I put an email out today and I am going to make a few calls tomorrow and see what is out there. I will let you know how it goes and thank you for your time!

Maybe we could start a topic here in the Weddings forum (or dig up one that has already been started?) about 2nd shooting, namely where we're located, and what we're looking for / what we pay etc.

Thoughts, everybody?
    =Matt=
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2012
    Maybe we could start a topic here in the Weddings forum (or dig up one that has already been started?) about 2nd shooting, namely where we're located, and what we're looking for / what we pay etc.

Thoughts, everybody?
    =Matt=

From an outsider's pov, an excellent idea I would've thought ...

pp