Options

How did you transition to full-time?

KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
edited April 9, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
Did you have savings that you used?

Did you take out a business loan?

Were you sustainable enough that you could just drop the day job?

Any other ideas?

Just curious to see how other folks have done it. :)
Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!

Comments

• Options
    Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2012
    Mine was a bit of both, hard work always marketing. But I was in police work before this, I left in 2007, have been full time since, but was doing it full/part time while at the pd. I was fed up with work, do I quit, had some savings and had gigs when I left but didn't book anymore for about a 8 months

Used my savings, but decided to get a new website, cmd. Put my work on there and Seo, fb, and back links. I do not look back at all.

I do not know hat caused the rapid growth, but we're still growing and it feels good, but scary at the same time. I've 3x over my old salary last year, and might be 4xthisyear but it is lots of hours

I enjoy it but you will work long days, and be force fed constant connection to the business. Sometimes you get days off if you can plan for it
  • Options
    ADMIT PhotographyADMIT Photography Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2012
    I like this thread! I also wonder how people manage to do this full time as it's something I wish to do when I seperate from the military.
    Facebook - Twitter
    Nikon D200, D80, SB600, nikon 50mm 1.8, nikon 18-135 3.5-4.6, nikon 70-200
  • Options
    Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2012
    Five tips

Focus
    Dedicate
    Advance
    Expose
    Explore

And that means, if you focus yourself to become a niche photographer and dedicate your resources to find that nicheyou will see great results. Advance yourself by learning the new tricks keeping ahead of the old dogs. Exposé your self in every way, even if it's tedious. And when the niche gets setup and your following Is spreading you like wild fire, explore and keep them energized with crazy trick you cando with photography and the success will follow.