Options

Candid studio shots with my two daughters

Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
edited April 8, 2012 in People
I took my two girls down to my new studio, both for practice, and also to get a couple of photos for their mum, and other family members.

Here are some of the candid shots...didn't do anything formal at all, just do their own thing and enjoy. :)

6902481552_98e6b81c4c_b.jpg
5-4-2012 Ruby and Annie by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

7048572905_70c1bf472e_b.jpg
5-4-2012 Ruby and Annie dancing by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

7048452007_6785ce5204_b.jpg
5-4-2012 Annie on beanbag v2 by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

6902719576_8bc53b9ec1_b.jpg
5-4-2012 Ruby and Annie posing by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

6902722318_f49410511a_b.jpg
5-4-2012 Annie and Ruby playing by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

6902726582_633051db6f_b.jpg
5-4-2012 Annie and Ruby playing v2 by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

6902482304_f7f620a056_b.jpg
5-4-2012 Annie and Ringo by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

Hope you like them...they cheered me up. :)

Comments

• Options
    DaverDaver Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2012
    Thanks for the smiles. Cute shots!
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2012
    Looks like they had a blast. My only critique is it looks like you had the background lights turned up a bit more than necessary -- looks like it's spilling over into your girls in a few shots (in particular, your little girl in #1)
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2012
    They are so cute...I concur with Brett, I'm seeing some spillage as well but overall a nice lighting scheme ala highkey
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    TravelTravel Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2012
    The 4th one is really good. It looks a little too light which would be easy to correct then retouch it and you will have a perfect advertising piece for your studio!
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2012
    Agree re spill (any help to up the black point a little?) but I too love #4 SO much!! What an expression :D
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2012
    Daver wrote: »
    Thanks for the smiles. Cute shots!
    Looks like they had a blast. My only critique is it looks like you had the background lights turned up a bit more than necessary -- looks like it's spilling over into your girls in a few shots (in particular, your little girl in #1)
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    They are so cute...I concur with Brett, I'm seeing some spillage as well but overall a nice lighting scheme ala highkey
    Travel wrote: »
    The 4th one is really good. It looks a little too light which would be easy to correct then retouch it and you will have a perfect advertising piece for your studio!
    divamum wrote: »
    Agree re spill (any help to up the black point a little?) but I too love #4 SO much!! What an expression :D

Thank you all.
    Number 4 and 5 are my favourites...showing the character of the girls in those. :)

For the lights, the spill is created more on Annie (the small one) as the "got around" the flags I had on the background light. :)
    I need to make (can't sfford to buy yet) a barndoor sort of arrangement, or something else that will keep the light going in the right way. :)

Cheers all.
  • Options
    mjoshi123mjoshi123 Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2012
    love #4 - fun times.
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2012
    mjoshi123 wrote: »
    love #4 - fun times.

Thanks. It was fun. :)
  • Options
    GothamGotham Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2012
    If you have room, the easiest and cleanest way to overlight a white background is using two v-flats (two 6' white foamcore boards taped together -- if you don't know what it looks like, look it up). Stand a v-flat on each side of the background open towards the background and point a light into each flat and meter it about one-stop brighter than your subject. You'll get very even spread and little or no spillage.
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2012
    Gotham wrote: »
    If you have room, the easiest and cleanest way to overlight a white background is using two v-flats (two 6' white foamcore boards taped together -- if you don't know what it looks like, look it up). Stand a v-flat on each side of the background open towards the background and point a light into each flat and meter it about one-stop brighter than your subject. You'll get very even spread and little or no spillage.

I like that idea...I have seen them. I reckon I could get something like that from a DIY store...how wide does each part of the "V" need to be, you think? I can get a 8foot by 4foot polystyrene board, an inch thick, for about £6. Would that work? I have some good tape to join bits...

Cheers
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited April 6, 2012
    Adorable! :D
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2012
    kdog wrote: »
    Adorable! :D

Thank you. :)
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2012
    #4 definately needs to be printed BIG! #3 & #7 would have been great too if she was turned more to the camera. Hopefully one of these days I'll find a place with higher ceilings, so I can get my studio lights out of storage and start using them.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2012
    BroPhoto wrote: »
    #4 definately needs to be printed BIG! #3 & #7 would have been great too if she was turned more to the camera. Hopefully one of these days I'll find a place with higher ceilings, so I can get my studio lights out of storage and start using them.

GaryB

I've ordered a small canvas of the 4th one to see how it prints up. :)

With the others, you get what you can with Annie, and even though she's not directed at the camera, that is how she is. :) People who know here see those as Annie more than the ones where she seems to be posing. :)

Cheers
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2012
    I've ordered a small canvas of the 4th one to see how it prints up. :)

With the others, you get what you can with Annie, and even though she's not directed at the camera, that is how she is. :) People who know here see those as Annie more than the ones where she seems to be posing. :)

Cheers

Where did you have the canvas print done? I'm looking for a place to get some specialty prints done myself. Let us know how it turns out!

I know that it is hard to get them to pose (sit still). At that age, and younger, you have to take what you can get. I have a great neice that is always on the go. The only way to get her to sit still, is to give her a book or play one of her favorite videos.

Question: What are you using for studio lights? I have some floressant studio lights that I bought from Linco, that I'm dying to try out, but need a place with higher ceilings.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2012
    BroPhoto wrote: »
    Where did you have the canvas print done? I'm looking for a place to get some specialty prints done myself. Let us know how it turns out!

I know that it is hard to get them to pose (sit still). At that age, and younger, you have to take what you can get. I have a great neice that is always on the go. The only way to get her to sit still, is to give her a book or play one of her favorite videos.

Question: What are you using for studio lights? I have some floressant studio lights that I bought from Linco, that I'm dying to try out, but need a place with higher ceilings.

GaryB

The canvas I am getting free from Snapfish, just to see how it looks. I have a proper place I am going to use for bigger and better canvasses...I'll see if I can find a link later, although they may just be UK based.

My kids never sit still, and Ruby (the big one) thinks she knows it all (and probably does know most of it!) and Annie (the little one) has a genetic condition and learning difficulties, and so she is really funny most of the time but is impossible to direct! You gets what you gets with my two! :D

And to be fair, they are the better shots when they do as they please...candid and fun. :)

I use a couple of studio flash units. they are quite basic. I just put one to the side and flag it to light the background, and the other over my left shoulder with a shoot through umbrella. With the kids, height is not so critical. Basic lighting set up, but quite effective with the kids...makes things bright and fun. :)