Options

Canon G1X

nw scoutnw scout Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
edited April 10, 2012 in Cameras
Just wondering if anyone here has picked one of these up?
I have read some reviews but wanted to hear some real world thoughts.
Looking for a good point and shoot that can still produce a good stock image
and this is looking like my best bet.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2012
    I played with one at the local camera shop. Unimpressed. I would stick with a DSLR at that price point. The G1X is not even close to pocketable, the operation is a lot slower than a DSLR, and no interchangeable lenses. I don't know why you what it really offers vs a small DSLR or even Micro 4/3. If I was spending that kind of money on a point and shoot, I would just go with a Fuji X100. :D Now there is a sweet, totally annoying to use, camera.
  • Options
    WistitiWistiti Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited April 6, 2012
    The G1X is the best compact expert camera for DxO and DxO is the independant reference !

« The best compact camera ever made » !

Six pages here :

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/Canon-PowerShot-G1X-Review/Canon-G1X-the-best-compact-cameras
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2012
    I looked at that camera and others but ended up with the Canon S100 and have been very pleased with it What did it for me was the size which fits in the shirt pocket and shoots RAW. I was suprised where it ranked at DXO
    The controls are very easy on it especially in Manual Mode
    DXO Ratinss
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    nw scoutnw scout Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2012
    I don't mind the price, and the image quality seems great. But........
    The build quality is a joke! I went to the shop yesterday to check it out and was amazed how cheep it
    felt in my hands. I put my cameras through a lot of abuse, and this thing feels like it would not last a weekend. Pretty bummed really. Had hi hopes, and it would be in my bag right now if it didn't feel like it came out of a cereal box.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,912 moderator
    edited April 7, 2012
    nw scout wrote: »
    I don't mind the price, and the image quality seems great. But........
    The build quality is a joke! I went to the shop yesterday to check it out and was amazed how cheep it
    felt in my hands. I put my cameras through a lot of abuse, and this thing feels like it would not last a weekend. Pretty bummed really. Had hi hopes, and it would be in my bag right now if it didn't feel like it came out of a cereal box.

Is it not very similar build quality to other bodies in the Canon "G" series compact cameras?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    kurtwkurtw Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Is it not very similar build quality to other bodies in the Canon "G" series compact cameras?

The word "plasticy" seems to come up a lot.

But to be fair, it's undetermined yet whether it's actually less durable than previous iterations. I love my G11 and it has had several close encounters with asphalt. And when it came out, the forums were full of angry threads about Canon shamefully skimping on G11 build quality.
  • Options
    JamesbjenkinsJamesbjenkins Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2012
    It's certainly not in the same league as the G11 or G12 on build quality...

Very disappointed at the shortcuts.
    Proofing: clients.captured-photos.com
    Facebook: Like Me || Twitter: Follow Me
    Gear: Lots of Nikon bodies & glass, an office full of tools and toys
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2012
    kurtw wrote: »
    The word "plasticy" seems to come up a lot.

But to be fair, it's undetermined yet whether it's actually less durable than previous iterations. I love my G11 and it has had several close encounters with asphalt. And when it came out, the forums were full of angry threads about Canon shamefully skimping on G11 build quality.

I don't mind plastic, the G1X seems to have great "IQ" and range, I just wish the price was lower