Options

1/2 Alpe d'Huez or Mt Washington

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited August 4, 2004 in Holy Macro
Well, I might not be Lance, but I can fantasize with the best of them. This is the top of Old Grand Teton Pass, about 2k vertical feet in about 4 miles, which is pretty steep. Mt Washington and Alpe d'Huez are no steeper, but go on twice as long. I should have ridden down the other side and back up, but no time.

6385534-L.jpg
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Well, I might not be Lance, but I can fantasize with the best of them. This is the top of Old Grand Teton Pass, about 2k vertical feet in about 4 miles, which is pretty steep. Mt Washington and Alpe d'Huez are no steeper, but go on twice as long. I should have ridden down the other side and back up, but no time.

6385534-S.jpg
    Nice work rutt![font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/font]
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    Nice work rutt![font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/font]
    More like play. But yes.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 29, 2004
    I wanna go...
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited July 29, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I wanna go...
    You might have liked riding down the single track, which is what the locals were doing. Scared me to death.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    You might have liked riding down the single track, which is what the locals were doing. Scared me to death.
    Indeed i would have. haven't been riding anywhere fancy since Colorado 4 years ago. I'm achin' for something new.
    Erik

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Indeed i would have. haven't been riding anywhere fancy since Colorado 4 years ago. I'm achin' for something new.

i gotta dig up the old pix of mine where i bicycled up the real mt. washington in new hampshire - 8 miles uphill ... ahh those days when i was in shape, 20 years ago :D
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2004
    andy wrote:
    i gotta dig up the old pix of mine where i bicycled up the real mt. washington in new hampshire - 8 miles uphill ... ahh those days when i was in shape, 20 years ago :D
    Yeah, these days getting up this sort of thing is the boring part. The kids do it just so they can ride down the single tracks that would scare you to ski down.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2004
    forgot to say
    rutt wrote:
    Yeah, these days getting up this sort of thing is the boring part. The kids do it just so they can ride down the single tracks that would scare you to ski down.

awesome pic!
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2004
    andy wrote:
    awesome pic!
    Thanks, Andy. That's sort of funny because when I was posting I was thinking that you wouldn't like it because the horizon is crooked and I didn't do any post at all. But, I thought, screw it, this is really just a bicycle brag, not really a good shot. Shot with my P&S as well, because I'm not crazy.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    More like play. But yes.
    Hey, riding up a mountain is work!

Since all the advrider gang was out in Ouray this past weekend I've been thinking about my Bicycle Tour of Colorado trip about five years ago. Man I wish I could go back and do that again!
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Thanks, Andy. That's sort of funny because when I was posting I was thinking that you wouldn't like it because the horizon is crooked and I didn't do any post at all. But, I thought, screw it, this is really just a bicycle brag, not really a good shot. Shot with my P&S as well, because I'm not crazy.
    Hey Andy: how does it feel to know that you have created a legion of followers who live in fear of your critiscism! rolleyes1.gif
    Erik

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited July 29, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Hey Andy: how does it feel to know that you have created a legion of followers who live in fear of your critiscism! rolleyes1.gif
    Laughing.gifLaughing.gifeek.gifeek.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2004
    6878096-L.jpg

I don't think I would have done this if Andy hadn't praised this shot, but I straightened out the horizon and sent it to Outside Magazine as a possible "Parting Shot". Looked pretty good to me after I straightened it. The fact that it was crooked really spoiled it for me and kept me from seeing the good shot lurking inside. I thought it was a good bicycle brag, nothing more.

Online photo sharing/critique like dgrin is really great for this kind of thing. It's often hard to evaluate one's own work. Many times I've selected shots from my proofsheets and then had others find better ones that for some reason didn't work as well for me at first.

It's interesting how different it is to work with images from a P&S versus imagees from a real camera. Don't sharpen this! Don't LAB steepen! That was all done in the camera.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2004
    Outside mag has some sweet photography. Its on my "subscribe-to" when you have more money list. Good luck! and let us know if they accept it!
    Erik