Options

Do Not Wait

RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
edited April 7, 2012 in The Big Picture
I've heard this bit of advice from several different accomplished photographers. it goes something like this: Access is critical. When you have access to a subject do not delay. Do not yield to the temptation that you can come back later to make more photographs.

This doesn't apply just to places, it applies to people as well. When a person gives you permission to photograph them they are granting you access. Treat the subject fully. They may not give permission again, or worse... they might not be with us tomorrow. Don't delay, create photographs with a sense of urgency. The same can be applied to street work. When you see a person on the street that really grabs your imagination, make the shot that counts. You might never see that person or experience that situation again.

I was recently reminded of this advice when visiting an area I had photographed many times previously. It has been open to the public for many years and is rich in photographic potential. My goal was to return and make more photographs. What greeted me was a shiny, brand-new, 3 mile long 7 foot high security fence. No more access. While I felt bad not being able to scratch a creative itch, I left satisfied knowing that I had created interesting images there before. I've captured some sense of a place that is now off-limits. A bit of history that is now closed to time.
Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
Website | Galleries | Utah PJs

Comments

• Options
    Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2012
    I remember sitting during a hockey game, during intermission, in fact, after shooting a period of action. There was a revered local fellah -old-time hockey soul - just jawing away and laughing at the ticket gal.

I felt, for some strange reason, an urge to capture the image, even though it seemed mundane. I didn't even have time to fiddle with white balance, or settings. I just shot.
    407039_10150589677514146_13670476_n.jpg
    And I was glad I did, because the chap died of a heart attack two weeks later.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2012
    Good Advice ! This helps hit it home. Thanks !