Options

FoCal AF Microadjustment Software?

13»

Comments

• Options
    colinc1colinc1 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 15, 2013
    I purchased the pro version the other week for my Canon 7 D, and was testing it out with a Canon EF 85 F1.8,
    It was working fine for the first few tries, then it stopped functioning.

I did a PC restart, problem still there, and i also noticed my camera would not auto focus any more???????????

Has anyone had this problem??? It is getting me stressed that i cannot use the camera

Thanks in advance
    Colin
  • Options
    colinc1colinc1 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 15, 2013
    Update - Auto focus only works C1 ,C2,C3 modes
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2013
    I purchased the pro version and ran through a bunch of lenses yesterday. I was pleased with the results on several prime lenses (300 f2.8, 300 f4, 180 f2, 85 f1.4 and 50mm f1.4) but I could not get consistent results with zooms. It had a lot of trouble with my 70-200mm f2.8. That lens seems sharp to me, but at one point the software said it could not be calibrated. It eventually did select a micro-adjustment, but I'm not too confident.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited February 25, 2013
    Mitchell wrote: »
    I purchased the pro version and ran through a bunch of lenses yesterday. I was pleased with the results on several prime lenses (300 f2.8, 300 f4, 180 f2, 85 f1.4 and 50mm f1.4) but I could not get consistent results with zooms. It had a lot of trouble with my 70-200mm f2.8. That lens seems sharp to me, but at one point the software said it could not be calibrated. It eventually did select a micro-adjustment, but I'm not too confident.

Mitch, I'm assuming you tried all the obvious like VR off, center spot, covered view finder, etc. Did you calibrate your target positioning? Try different distances to target? Wide and fully zoomed settings? I've had good luck with my zooms. You could try sending email to support at Reikan and see what they say. They're pretty responsive.
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2013
    kdog wrote: »
    Mitch, I'm assuming you tried all the obvious like VR off, center spot, covered view finder, etc. Did you calibrate your target positioning? Try different distances to target? Wide and fully zoomed settings? I've had good luck with my zooms. You could try sending email to support at Reikan and see what they say. They're pretty responsive.

I'm going to try again with my 70-200mm before I contact them. I attempted the calibration at 200mm and 170mm. From what I read, they suggested zooms be checked at their longer end.

I also do not have an arca swiss mount for this lens (damn you Nikon) since I handhold this combo. I'm wondering if camera shake while testing using an L-bracket on the body fouled up my results. Next try I will screw the Nikon provided mount directly onto my tripod.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited February 25, 2013
    Mitchell wrote: »
    From what I read, they suggested zooms be checked at their longer end.
    Depends on your body. The newer Canons have calibration settings for both the short end and long end of the lens and you want to do both. Not sure about Nikon.
  • Options
    cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2013
    With the Nikons you blend them weighted to the long end - works great BTW on the D600 & D7000 even though changing the settings manually is not quite as simple as just sitting back - that would be great.
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.