DSS#100 - First Attempts at Processing

torrbraetorrbrae Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
edited April 16, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here are my first attempts at processing to make photo look like 1912. Would appreciate comments on the processing.

#1 - (with cars cloned out!)

C201204061007613GovtGardensOld-XL.jpg

#2 - with Antique filter used

C201204061007687BathHouseAntiq-XL.jpg

#3 - Black & White, no filter.

C201204061007687BathHouseOld-XL.jpg

Concerned #2 is too processed, whilst #3 not "old" enough. Comments be appreciated.

Comments

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2012
    #1 IS GREAT! clap.gif It is reminiscent of the old post cards they had back then. Your processing is spot-on and so is the sterile appearance of the composition. I had to double check it because I found myself wondering why you scanned an old postcard and posted it to this thread. rolleyes1.gif

#2 is over processed but would make a nice grunge-style photo. #3 doesn't say "1912" to me. ne_nau.gif
  • kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2012
    I agree....#1 is perfect. Love how it fades out on the edges.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • PappyRootPappyRoot Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2012
    I really like 1. I am interested in how you did it. I played for hrs with mine on Elements 10 and just can not get it to look like yours.

Anyway thanks for these wonderful shots!! Great job!! thumb.gif
    Sometimes, it is better to be kind than to be right. We do not need an intelligent mind that speaks, but a patient heart that listens. Unknown
    irpappyroot2.photoshop.com
    My flickr Account
  • torrbraetorrbrae Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2012
    Thank you for the comments - will enter #1.

Pappyroot - processed image by initially softly blurring it (using Guassian Blur), then Desaturated image to remove colour. Then used the Hue/Saturation to get the Sepia tone colour. Finally added some Noise, and white Vignette in the corners (at about 50% opacity so not solid white).

Gimp has a filter that does similar to this (Filter > Decor > Old Photo). Have found the other Antique/Aging filters overdue the aging look (eg photo #2).

Had Googled to find tutorials on aging photos - found this one good: http://www.wacom-asia.com/technical/photoshop/photoshop.html

Hope this helps.
  • lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2012
    I agree - #1 is a great shot! Nice comp & processing - love the added touch of the title.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2012
    lkbart wrote: »
    I agree - #1 is a great shot! Nice comp & processing - love the added touch of the title.

15524779-Ti.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2012
    Late to the party, but piling on in favor of #1. Very nice work!
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug