Options

20D dpi question

spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
edited November 5, 2005 in Cameras
I have noticed that when I shoot JPG, and open the file in photoshop cs, it opens at 72 dpi. I always end up changing that through the image, image size and then uncheck reample image, and change the dpi up to 300. Is there a way to have it open at the 300?

Comments

• Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2005
    spockling wrote:
    I have noticed that when I shoot JPG, and open the file in photoshop cs, it opens at 72 dpi. I always end up changing that through the image, image size and then uncheck reample image, and change the dpi up to 300. Is there a way to have it open at the 300?

I'm guessing that you would change it in the settings in your camera. I wonder if you have yours set to "low" or whatever JPEG settings are on a Canon.

Check your owners manual.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2005
    spockling wrote:

spock, take a gander here
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2005
    spockling wrote:
    I always change my images to 292 dpi, for no other reason than this makes the picture exactly an 8" by 12" image. Having a known canvas size makes some of my actions easier to write. I almost never worry about the actual dpi because I seldom print at home.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    LiquidOpsLiquidOps Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    I always change my images to 292 dpi, for no other reason than this makes the picture exactly an 8" by 12" image. Having a known canvas size makes some of my actions easier to write. I almost never worry about the actual dpi because I seldom print at home.
    Random question...

Do you guys change your DPI before uploading to SM for print? Or do you let SM do it for you?
    Wandering Through Life Photography
    MM Portfolio

Canon 30D | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2005
    LiquidOps wrote:
    Random question...

Do you guys change your DPI before uploading to SM for print? Or do you let SM do it for you?
    don't change a thing. upload your original images. We create -L, -M etc images automatically.
  • Options
    LiquidOpsLiquidOps Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2005
    andy wrote:
    don't change a thing. upload your original images. We create -L, -M etc images automatically.
    even for print quality? if I set up a gallery for a model - don't change a thing... just make changes in post, save as .jpg and then upload?
    Wandering Through Life Photography
    MM Portfolio

Canon 30D | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2005
    LiquidOps wrote:
    even for print quality? if I set up a gallery for a model - don't change a thing... just make changes in post, save as .jpg and then upload?
    I never up-rez an image that I'm going to have printed by a lab (Smugmug, my local grocery store, CostCo, etc.). If you do not know the exact native resolution of the printer used you are wasting your time because you will actually cause your image to be re-sampled yet again at the lab. They have better software for up-rezzing than you do.

Note this has worked fabulous for images I have done as large as 24 by 36, which end up less than 100 dpi. I don't up-rez it before it goes to the lab.

I have noticed a difference when up-sampling and printing at home. I have a friend with an Epson R4000. If I have him print me a 16x20 I see a noticeable difference if I up-rez to 360 dpi before printing. Its one reason I don't like printing at home.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    I have noticed a difference when up-sampling and printing at home. I have a friend with an Epson R4000. If I have him print me a 16x20 I see a noticeable difference if I up-rez to 360 dpi before printing. Its one reason I don't like printing at home.

The secrect to getting great prints with an R4k is ImagePrint. Sad to say, but Epson's drivers just don't cut it by comparison. Not even close. With ImagePrint, I don't worry, it does a really good job of resolution matching.
    If not now, when?