DSS #100 - Window shot

lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
edited April 16, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here's my first go at it - not sure if the subject matter corresponds to most photos from 1912, but I also am interpreting the challenge to be more in the processing than the subject matter. Comments & suggestions welcome!

1. Kitty in the window
IMG9280-M.jpg

2. Kitty in the window
IMG9282-M.jpg
~Lillian~
A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/

Comments

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2012
    I really like the warmer tones of the first shot. The scene in the background is reminiscent of what would have been used as a studio backdrop in 1912. Unfortunately you'll need to crop the photo frame (window showing is OK) before you upload it to the gallery if you don't want to be DQ'd.
  • PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2012
    I like #1 as well. However, I'm not sure that the border has to go.... as per the rule:

Borders/Frames: You may use a simple border of a single color to frame your photo if you feel it will enhance the final image. Natural borders or frames such as windows, doorways, dark vignettes and subjects that float on a solid background will also be permitted. No multi color, decorative or picture frame style borders will be accepted unless waived in a specific round.
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2012
    OH - good point - I can make the border smaller. Hadn't thought of that - thanks for pointing it out. Just made me think of the portrait folders they used to use. I also didn't realize that about the backdrops back then - makes sense. Thanks for that too. Sad thing is that it's just an old window that needs replaced, but it sure made the reflection look old - if only this were a SOOC challenge!! I think I need to play more - thanks for the feedback Linda & Lisa!
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2012
    I like both - they have the feeling of that time images - very nice thumb.gif

I agree that the warmer tones on the first one are more pleasant to the eye, though.
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2012
    For me the first one is tops. Something about the sleeping cat works better than the "you lookin' at me?" cat.. and I think the sepia is more effective here, too.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug