Options

A Few Images From A Visit To Birdworld Farnham

PeterD-2009PeterD-2009 Registered Users Posts: 618 Major grins
edited April 10, 2012 in Wildlife
Had a good visit to this establishment and thought I would share some of the images with you.

Image 1 - Black-crowned Night Heron (Nycticorax nycticorax)
P3250461-L.jpg
This Heron usually roosts during the day and feeds at night ,hence it's name. They primarily eat small fish, crustaceans, frogs, aquatic insects, small mammals and small birds.

Image 2 - African Spoonbill (Platalea alba)
P3250365-L.jpg
The species is widespread across Africa and Madagascar, including Botswana, Kenya, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, and Zimbabwe.

Image 3 - African Sacred Ibis (Threskiornis aethiopicus)
P3250448-L.jpg
The Sacred Ibis breeds in sub-Saharan Africa, southeastern Iraq, and formerly in Egypt, where it was venerated and often mummified as a symbol of the god Thoth. It feeds on various fish, frogs, small mammals, reptiles and smaller birds as well as insects.

Image 4 - Bateleur (Terathopius ecaudatus)
P3250359-L.jpg
The Bateleur eagle is a common resident species of the open savanna country in Sub-Saharan Africa, though it also occurs in south-west Arabia. The prey of this raptor is mostly birds, including pigeons and sandgrouse, small mammals; it also takes carrion.

Image 5 - Mandarin Duck (Aix galericulata)
P3250406-L.jpg
A very popular duck due to the male's colourful plumage. They were widespread in South East Asia. A significant population of this duck can be seen in the wild in the UK.

Image 6 - Wood Duck (Aix sponsa)
P3250466-L.jpg
Closely related to the Mandarin Duck is the Wood Duck. This is found in the Americas.

Image 7 - Humboldt Penguin (Spheniscus humboldti)
P3250428-L.jpg
A South American penguin, that breeds in coastal Peru and Chile.

I have many more images of the birds I have seen and will share some more if you like these.

Comments

• Options
    Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2012
    Great series Peter. Nice job on the penquin.
    "Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.
  • Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2012
    Nice series, Peter, and quite a few species I haven't seen before! Best, Pam
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2012
    Great series Peter. Nice job on the penquin.
    PGM wrote: »
    Nice series, Peter, and quite a few species I haven't seen before! Best, Pam

Thank you Dick and Pam for your kind commentsthumb.gif. Although taking shots of these birds is quite easy in such a location, the challenges are more to do with composition, getting the best light and of course avoiding the mesh/people from dominating the scene.
    Glad you like these.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2012
    Good set of well exposed images.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2012
    Harryb wrote: »
    Good set of well exposed images.

Thank you Harry - greatly appreciatedthumb.gif