Travelways.com

Comments

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2012
    Chateau Laurier - A century of existence

Please tell me what you think

Also, is the border OK?

Thanks

I like the processing very much! There are some visible modern day elements in there and I like the fact you left them in there. It looks like a time traveler took this photo. mwink.gif As for the torn border, I really don't know. That's something you might want to ask Joyce.
  • senorjaxsenorjax Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2012
    I like it very, very much. Excellent processing as well, nice period feel. I hope the black on the edges is ok because it gives the appearance that you kept part of the adjacent area of a negative strip.
    Jay
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2012
    richtersl wrote: »
    I like the processing very much! There are some visible modern day elements in there and I like the fact you left them in there. It looks like a time traveler took this photo. mwink.gif As for the torn border, I really don't know. That's something you might want to ask Joyce.

Thank you Linda, I think that the contemporary elements should be OK too, because the theme says:
    "In this challenge you will need to take an image that is black and white or sepia toned and then make it look distressed as if it were taken 100 years ago."

So it's all about a contemporary photo looking as old...

I'm very proud of my border - I hope it will be OK rolleyes1.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
    edited April 9, 2012
    senorjax wrote: »
    I like it very, very much. Excellent processing as well, nice period feel. I hope the black on the edges is ok because it gives the appearance that you kept part of the adjacent area of a negative strip.

Thank you Jay - on the challenges gallery, the background is black (darker than it is here on this forum), so keeping this in mind, I made the image like it actually has real thorn edges... mwink.gif

- I hope it will be accepted
    Travelways.com
  • Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2012
    Wow, this is outstanding!
    edited April 9, 2012
    That looks really good per the theme, wonderful looking place too...

As for the border, if they are going to be allowed I guess I'd better jump on the band wagon and figure out how to do one too....:D

Thank you Aaron. I'm pretty sure this will be allowed, at least for this challenge, cause borders are characteristic for this particular theme.

It's an easy thing to do using masks and I'm sure, for you this will be a piece of cake mwink.gif
    Travelways.com
    edited April 9, 2012
    Pat664422 wrote: »
    Wow, this is outstanding!

Hey, thanks, I'm so happy to hear this rolleyes1.gif
    Travelways.com
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2012
    I really like this and your idea of the black is great. It will disappear in the gallery giving your the torn photo effect. Wonderful!
    edited April 9, 2012
    actually photoshop drives me crazy... I think you're right and it will be allowed, but I dont think I will try... it was a short lived idea for me...:D

I actually used a real piece of paper for this:

i-8TS42Fh-M.jpg

I haven't added it to the EXIF, because I thought it was not necessary, since this can be done by hand, as well. Apparently I'll have to add it though - I will.
    Travelways.com
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2012
    I actually used a real piece of paper for this:

i-8TS42Fh-M.jpg

I haven't added it to the EXIF, because I thought it was not necessary, since this can be done by hand, as well. Apparently I'll have to add it though - I will.

yep, I think you should add it.
    I thought of trying my hand at something along those lines and just don't have the time to play with it. I am going to have to put this on my list of things to play with.
  • HaempHaemp Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 10, 2012
    Yea, I echo the crowed here and say I really like the processing and the effect got straight through to me. Well done
    edited April 15, 2012
    Haemp wrote: »
    Yea, I echo the crowed here and say I really like the processing and the effect got straight through to me. Well done

Thank you Haemp - sorry for the delay - I was trying to play more with the old style photography, but I guess I'll stay with this one :)
    Travelways.com
  • billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2012
    Late to the thread, but I, too, like this a lot. Very nice work on the layering effect for the torn image. The texture is spot on, too - not too much, not too little. And... what a cool subject for this challenge!
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
    edited April 16, 2012
    Thank you Bill,

Yes, it is a landmark for Ottawa, besides the Parliament building and other Government old buildings.

For those who haven't seen the text I added under the EXIF image, here is a little history:

The hotel was to be opened on 26 April 1912, but Charles Melville Hays, who was returning to Canada for the hotel opening, perished on Titanic when it sank on 15 April. A subdued opening ceremony was held on 12 June 1912, with Sir Wilfrid Laurier in attendance.
    Travelways.com
    edited April 16, 2012
    PS:

Charles Melville Hays was also the president of the Grand Trunk Railway, which opened Central Station in 1912 as well. The building is just across the street from the Chateau Laurier

Here is a photo of it, made in the same old style :)

i-FSKRcMM-L.jpg

Unfortunately the railway doesn't exist anymore - at the bottom of the building is only the beautiful Rideau Canal, which goes into the Ottawa river, trough the locks - I'll insert a photo of the locks too a little later :)
    Travelways.com
  • billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2012
    PS:

Charles Melville Hays was also the president of the Grand Trunk Railway, which opened Central Station in 1912 as well. The building is just across the street from the Chateau Laurier

And suddenly a west coast American understands the name of the rock band, Grand Funk Railroad in 1969.thumb.gif
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
    edited April 16, 2012
    Here are the Rideau Canal Locks in Ottawa.
    The Chateau Laurier is on the right side and on the left is the Parliament Hill (not shown in the image)

* At this time of the year they are not yet open for navigation

i-K6qgW43-L.jpg
    Travelways.com
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,209 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2012
    Wow, this whole set is very nice. They look like postcards from 1912. I really like your processing on these. I think you nailed this challenge!

Sherry
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2012
    All very nice. I think you nailed the first in color, texture, and feel.
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,959 moderator
    edited April 16, 2012
    billseye wrote: »
    Late to the thread, but I, too, like this a lot. Very nice work on the layering effect for the torn image. The texture is spot on, too - not too much, not too little. And... what a cool subject for this challenge!

15524779-Ti.gif
    edited April 19, 2012
    Thank you - somehow I was not aware of these last comments.
    It's interesting how this challenge opened a new way to me of seeing Ottawa.... - It's great to have such a receptive audience :) Yes, I wanted to show you things and facts about the history of this place - maybe I should continue and make an album of Ottawa's history... :)
    Travelways.com