Options

Tripod Help Pleassssssssssssssssse

Digital2DVDDigital2DVD Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
edited November 12, 2005 in SmugMug Support
I have my domain bought from Lycos (Tripod). www.Digital2DVD.com, I have it pointing to www.Digital2DVD.smugmug.com. When people go to the site they can not log into password protected galleries when they have the password. I checked the help page about domains, but it did not help me. I sent an e-mail to smugmug tech support and they said it looks like I am using frames. When someone goes to the digital2dvd.smugmug.com route they can use the passwords. Help pleassssssssssssse

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2005
    I have my domain bought from Lycos (Tripod). www.Digital2DVD.com, I have it pointing to www.Digital2DVD.smugmug.com. When people go to the site they can not log into password protected galleries when they have the password. I checked the help page about domains, but it did not help me. I sent an e-mail to smugmug tech support and they said it looks like I am using frames. When someone goes to the digital2dvd.smugmug.com route they can use the passwords. Help pleassssssssssssse

Hi There John,

I just went to your site, and logged in no problems to the "Allee 2 Wk Photos" gallery - I logged in just as an outsider would... I'm using a Mac, and Safari. I also checked on Firefox, that works fine, too. So, it seems to be working... Have you tried, by logging out of your smugmug site, and trying to log in? Specifically, what OS, what browser?

Thanks,
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2005
    andy wrote:
    Hi There John,

I just went to your site, and logged in no problems to the "Allee 2 Wk Photos" gallery - I logged in just as an outsider would... I'm using a Mac, and Safari. I also checked on Firefox, that works fine, too. So, it seems to be working... Have you tried, by logging out of your smugmug site, and trying to log in? Specifically, what OS, what browser?

Thanks,
    I had no luck, I typed in the password and it said wrong password. Three friends also encountered the same thing. Tech support said that the www.digital2dvd.com is not changing when someone clicks on a gallery. They sent a link to your site to show me how it should change when you click on a gallery. In the weddings folder, if you click on Kevin 2, the password is hawkins in lower case, it says wrong password. Running windows xp with internet explorer 6.02. thanks, jf (below is a copy of the tech support e-mail)
    Hi,

Thanks for contacting smugmug. It looks to me like you don't have it
    set up quite right. Have you read out help page on custom domains?
    You
    can find it here: http://www.smugmug.com/help/professional-accounts .

It looks like you might be using frames. If you look at the url that
    is
    being displayed, it's not changing when you click on galleries, etc.
    Try going here: http://www.moonriverphotography.com/ and clicking on
    galleries. Notice that his own domain is listed, but the displayed url
    does change.

-Anne
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2005

okay breathe... in with the good, out with the bad...

Let's go over a little bit of a lesson to understand why you're getting what you're getting.

Smugmug uses a method of securing their pages that requires the user's browser to actually be on one of their addresses. That is the only way for Smugmug to ensure the user's browser that they are who they say they are. To do this Smugmug had (has?) to pay a fee to register their name and keep it in good standing. So that means that if a page is displaying the smugmug page inside of a frame, that page isn't really at a smugmug address, it is at someone else's address and is sort of peering in at at smugmug address. So that means that the smugmug security features are disabled. Not only can you not get to password protected galleries, you can't get to your shopping cart either.

What does that have to do with you? Well there are several different ways of forwarding your address. The best way is the CNAME record and an okay way is the A-Record (use a CNAME if you can). However, there is another way to do it. It's a cheater way that wouldn't make any difference if the page being viewed didn't have security features like Smugmug does. The host puts a big old frame around the viewport. You are at www.yourname.com and peering in to yourname.smugmug.com but you're in a frame so you're losing all of your capabilities to deal with smugmug security features.

So this isn't a smugmug problem. The smugmug site is doing exactly what it should be doing. It is doing exactly what anyone who cares about security wants it to do.

So here's what you need to do (and I don't know the specifics of Tripod, maybe someone else does), go in and get rid of the url forwarding you currently have. Set up a CNAME record (clear enough?) and use the following as your information:

Your URL: www.digital2dvd.com
    forwards to: www.smugmug.com

and in your smugmug site make sure you set your domain to

www.digital2dvd.com

Do that and you should be set.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2005
    Thanks
    That did it, thanks. I was not saying it was smugmug's fault, just looking for help. The domain was pointing to digital2dvd.smugmug.com instead of just smugmug.com

thanks guys
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2005
    excellent, glad it's all fixed!
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2005
    Nope, did not do it
    I cleared my cookies and www.digital2dvd.com just points to smugmug and not my site :(

I went back to tripod and changed the www.smugmug.com back to www.digital2dvd.com so at least it would point to my site instead of smugmug's home page.
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2005
    It can take from 24-48 hours to complete the process (your registrar has to propagate the cname change throughout the internet).

stay tuned.
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2005
    andy wrote:
    It can take from 24-48 hours to complete the process (your registrar has to propagate the cname change throughout the internet).

stay tuned.
    Ok, I just put it back to smugmug.com and will wait. I never saw anything about CNAME on tripod. Here is a sample of what I see on Tripod.

DOMAIN FORWARDINGTo forward your domain name to a non-Tripod site, or Tripod subdirectory, enter the URL below.

Forward www.digital2dvd.com to http://smugmug.com

(examples: mysite.myhost.com or myhost.com/mysite)
    Domain Masking displays your domain name in the browser address bar instead of the destination address. This feature is for non-Tripod sites and Tripod subdirectories.
    Domain Masking is currently:

On
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2005
    Ok, I just put it back to smugmug.com and will wait. I never saw anything about CNAME on tripod. Here is a sample of what I see on Tripod.

DOMAIN FORWARDINGTo forward your domain name to a non-Tripod site, or Tripod subdirectory, enter the URL below.
    Forward www.digital2dvd.com to http://smugmug.com

(examples: mysite.myhost.com or myhost.com/mysite)
    Domain Masking displays your domain name in the browser address bar instead of the destination address. This feature is for non-Tripod sites and Tripod subdirectories.
    Domain Masking is currently:

On
    Domain masking is specifically what you do not want. This is the source of all your problems. Tripod may not offer CNAME forwarding. I have no idea if they do or not. Anyone else care to chime in? If you can't do a CNAME forward from tripod (maybe search in their FAQ or help files) you won't have a satisfactory solution unless you move your name registration somewhere that allows it (I personally recommend joker unless you're going to host a whole site in which case I recommend dream host).
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2005
    Ok, thanks, will change to masking thing and see what happens. thanks, jf
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2005
    joker.com
    I have started the process of changing to joker.com, hope the other fellows give up my domain. thanks
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2005
    Now registered with joker.com
    I don't see the cname stuff after I move from step four and I have * that show up on the fifth step. I am completly moved to joker.com

help please,

thanks, jf