Options

How often do you go shooting? What triggers you?

HaempHaemp Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited April 12, 2012 in Technique
How often do you go shooting? Around 2-3 times a week or more? I'm asking because I want to know what workflow other photographers have when they go about taking photos.

What do you think triggers you to go out shooting in the first place? Is it reading a blog, seeing some elses photos or something else entirely?

Would really like to know what triggers you guys.

Thank you. And forgive my English - its not my first language.

Comments

• Options
    ZBlackZBlack Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2012
    I've only been really getting into photography for the past year after I bought my first dslr. Never got into it with point and shoots or even phones, but once I had a dslr in my hand, there was no looking back. I typically go out maybe twice a week, but these last couple months, I've been itching to do it more and more and keep looking for that one spark of creativity or great idea for a series and such. I absolutely get my motivation from looking at other people's work more than other methods. Though I do enjoy reading a good blog post or write up of the story behind a photo, or even a real life event. Seems that, at least for me, when someone makes a personal connection, even if I can't directly relate to it, I find myself being moved in that regard and this carries over into my motivation to go shooting.
  • Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2012
    Every Saturday, shooting sports for 8+ hours. Love it and I get itchy feet as Saturday gets closer.
    I then spend Sunday processing, uploading and printing. On Monday and Tuesday I work on selecting and uploading images to other (club) websites. Check out my website "hits" as the week goes on. Get a thrill and sense of satisfaction in people looking at their photos.
    Rest of the week I will visit forums and general photo sites plus read photo magazines.

This weekend I get to shoot both Saturday and Sunday - yeeeess!!!! Luckily I am on holidays for 2 weeks so I can do the processing during next week.
    We are just in-between summer/winter sports seasons. First round of footy (Aussie Rules) and netball. Bring it on!!!!
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2012
    everyday... the cameras goes where I go ... what triggers me... ... ... The desire to create an image ... ... ... ... work flow: shoot in raw, cull in windows viewer, process in Lightroom and photoshop(if really needed).
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2012
    What triggers me? Contracts and cash! :)

These days, I primarily shoot for money. So when I have bookings, I shoot. When I don't have bookings, I sleep or eat. :)
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2012
    This year I am going shooting everyday. Why? To challenge myself and help me learn new techniques and approaches. Also one of the questions I have is whatt do you mean by shooting? I always have a camera with me, planning specifically to go take photos is different. But if I am planning to go to a location to get a specific image that is shooting in some people's minds.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2012
    Several times a week - usually (but not always) to the same location - a series of lakes about 15mins cycle ride away.
    Depends on the weather, but rain/snow/sleet/hail etc as well as more clement stuff I'd consider good reasons to go.
    Have sussed out suitable spots for the type of shot I want, and made custom support gear to aid this quest.
    Whilst I have ideas of what am after, depends on what's happening when I get there.

Motivation - to try to get better (different?) pics / pics I find appealing - ideally to be able to tick off some images that I've already got in my mind's eye (rarely happens :)) ... trying to add a bit extra to ordinary, I suppose.

Inspiration - pics (that I like) by any other person doing w/life - and the antics of the subjects themselves.

Rarely carry a cam with me otherwise (sometimes an old Ixus pns) - usual gear (20kg+) is not a 'spur of the moment' gig or something I'd carry around 'on the off chance'.

Sometimes I think it's more about the experience than getting a/the shot - being outside /fresh air / exercise / watching the subjects etc ... better than sitting at home stuck in front of TV (even if we had one)

Don't think it's necessary to travel vast distances to get a hrp (half reasonable pic) of even 'so called' boring / common subjects.

Would rather get a darned good pic of a common as muck subject to a plain 'record' shot of something more exotic.

Amateur.

pp