Options

Photographing a golf tournament

StarrToDowlerStarrToDowler Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
edited April 13, 2012 in Sports
Our state association is hosting a fund-raising golf tournament in a few weeks, and I've been asked to shoot it.

I haven't played golf since I was in school (a LONG time ago) and while I'm familiar with most of it (etiquette, scoring, etc.) I'm not sure of the best way to shoot a tournament. Should I stick around the 1st tee and the 18th green to make sure I don't miss anyone, or should I roam the course and just try to get whatever presents itself? I know enough to stay out of the players' line of sight and not to pop the shutter until after the ball is struck... but any advice that youse guys may have would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world... those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Comments

• Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2012
    You need to start by asking what types of photos the client wants and what they will be used for. For example, if the photos are going to be given to each group then you want to set up at a tee-box and take a group shot of every group as they come through. In that situation you don't want to miss groups because you're trying to take shots of the golfers on the course. If, however, they simply want a slide show you might spend more time doing ad-hoc photos around the course. It is not important that you get every golfer or group, it's more important that you get "interesting" shots. You need to understand if they want "fun" shots or if the golfers are really serious and you want tournament style shots. For example: the division I work for in my company has a yearly golf outing. Most aren't golfers. Taking tournament-style shots of these people is not all that flattering. But they appreciate the "fun" shots or the group shots. One person cannot do all of that successfully, so you want to understand what the client wants before hand.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2012
    +1, my thoughts exactly
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    LINYBIMMERLINYBIMMER Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2012
    Starr,
    I've been shooting my club championship for the last few years and this is what I do: Take pictures of all the groups going off the first tee. Down low and off to the side with a 70-200 or, even better, a 300. If the client wants shots out and about, locate good par 4's & 5's and catch the approach shots. Reaction shots, or series of shots of a putt are also very cool and get a good reaction from the participants. Some of my most popular shots have also been tee shots in a series from setup to finish. Make sure you are far enough away so the players can't here the shutter. That's the best way to get invited back (or not!)
  • Options
    schlpicschlpic Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited April 13, 2012
    Make sure you are far enough away so the players can't here the shutter.

This is exactly what I was thinking about and going to ask--about how far away from the participants do you place yourself? Sometimes that shutter really is LOUD!
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2012
    A few years back, I shot my company's golf outing for clients, and can echo the advice above. A couple of us teamed up to shoot each foursome before they teed off, then I spent the afternoon roaming around the course getting candid shots during play. A word of advice on that part - make sure they give you a cart to drive! I would have never made it if I had to walk the course with my camera gear.

Here is a gallery of shots from that outing.
    http://www.moose135photography.com/Events/Newsday-Golf-Outing/3207786_gRzhwq
  • Options
    KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2012
    Photographs of tee shots are always popular, but there's a lot more to golf than hitting it long off the tee.

When I shoot golf outings such as the one you describe, and assuming that it's a shot-gun start with groups teeing off at the same time on different holes, I get a cart and drive the course in the reverse direction of play. I stop to get shots of groups putting, hitting approach shots into greens, hitting out of the rough and bunkers, as well as teeing off on multiple holes.

Going in the opposite direction of play ensures that I see all of the groups on a number of different holes with different backgrounds and multiple camera angles.

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site