#100 Antique Dolls -- First Attempt

slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,209 Major grins
edited April 16, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
First off, I want to thank Greg (ghinson) for helping point the way to a tutorial to help me get close.

This is my first attempt at ever doing a vintage look image. I kind of like it, but I'm still not sure I have 'distressed' it enough. :dunno I would certainly appreciate any and all feedback on the processing and the image itself.

i-Fpn5br2-L.jpg

I took this picture on a day my family took a "wildflower road trip." Even though the focus of the day was on catching some of our awesome wildflowers this year (and I'm proud to say I found some good ones!), we stopped by the Sauer-Beckham living history farm (at the LBJ State Park near Stonewall, TX). I wasn't really thinking about this challenge this day, but doggone if something didn't just drop in my lap!! Here I am on a farm that is depicting the 1910-1918 era and lo and behold...I find these dolls in the display of the child's bedroom and fall in love. :ivar

Thanks for looking & offering any feedback.

Sherry

Comments

• CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2012
    I love this shot! Great ageing and subject IMO! thumb.gif

I love the LBJ State Park! Went out looking for wildflowers this weekend myself. I usually roam around Washington County. While they are not great this year they are 100% better than the nothing we got last year :)
    Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,209 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2012
    Thank you so much Jeromy! I really, really, really appreciate the feedback.

The wildflowers were thick & plentiful around Burnet, Marble Falls, Johnson City, & Stonewall. This was the best I've seen them in a long, long time. I took tons of pictures & probably should post some in one of the other sections.

Thanks again.
    Sherry
    edited April 15, 2012
    Well, I ended up with this:
    i-kDJMCPB-L.jpg

I like the version with the scratches, but I had used a pre-made texture layer for it. I was unable to duplicate the scratches, so I went with wrinkles. Otherwise, the processing is the same (except for the border).

Sherry
  • billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2012
    This is an effective subject for the challenge. Nicely processed, too.

I prefer the first shot with the scratches. The texture in the second one is pretty clearly created with an overlay of crumpled/folded paper (like a paper bag). It's quite apparent between the two dolls heads.

The quilt add to the aura of authenticity in both versions, too.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
    edited April 16, 2012
    Thanks so much Bill. I like the first one better also, but I used a plug-in to get the scratches so I had to start over. I created the texture for the second one by following a tutorial, but I don't like to very much. (It is crinkled up ivory-colored paper with dirt and coffee stains.) It just isn't what I wanted, but I never found a tutorial that showed me how to do what I really wanted to do. Any tutorial I found was good up to the point where I need to add in the texture, and they all used plug-ins or downloaded textures. Argh! Bryce gave me a short set of instructions in the main challenge thread that I hope to have time to try before the challenge ends. We have a program at my daughter's school tonight, so I may not make it.

Thanks also for the comment on the subject. I took the picture while visiting a living history farm. This is from the little girl's bedroom as it was in 1913. The dolls, the quilt, and the dress (hard to tell that's what it is after processing, but it is in the right foreground) were all authentic from that time period.

Sherry
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2012
    I agree with Bill, but I like the light more on the second version, plus the frame.
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
    edited April 16, 2012
    Thank you, Tatiana. I got home earlier than I thought tonight, so I had one last chance to play with this thing.

Here's my final attempt at this:
    i-QgjSQTg-L.jpg

I really appreciate everyone's feedback & assistance with helping me create my own 'scratches' layer instead of using a plug-in.

Sherry