Will change of print lab affect existing shopping carts?

Dcott45Dcott45 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited April 11, 2012 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Hello,

Some of my clients create shopping carts and wait for future events before they place their order. I want to change which print lab I use. Will that affect my client's shopping cart that they have saved? I plan on making the print vendor change to all of my galleries on my site.

Any info would be extremely helpful.

Thanks!

Douglas

Comments

• Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2012
    Dcott45 wrote: »
    Hello,

Some of my clients create shopping carts and wait for future events before they place their order. I want to change which print lab I use. Will that affect my client's shopping cart that they have saved? I plan on making the print vendor change to all of my galleries on my site.

Any info would be extremely helpful.

Thanks!

Douglas

Hi Douglas

This may cause problems for you and your customers. Our cart uses a browser cookie to remember the choices made, and that cookie has a 30 day life so that is one way that the carts may expire before the order is placed. Of course, clearing cookies is another.

Changing print labs may also have adverse effects for a couple of reasons. The labs do not all offer the same products, and they do have different base pricing. That may affect your customers choices, and it may affect your pricing.

I hope that helps.

ann
  • Dcott45Dcott45 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 11, 2012
    Ann McRae wrote: »
    Hi Douglas

This may cause problems for you and your customers. Our cart uses a browser cookie to remember the choices made, and that cookie has a 30 day life so that is one way that the carts may expire before the order is placed. Of course, clearing cookies is another.

Changing print labs may also have adverse effects for a couple of reasons. The labs do not all offer the same products, and they do have different base pricing. That may affect your customers choices, and it may affect your pricing.

I hope that helps.

ann

Ann,

Good to hear from you. I do realize carts do expire and spread the word to my clients that mention they have built a cart and not ordered yet.

As far as products I offer they will translate to the new lab so that won't be much of an issue. The change will affect my product cost a bit on certain products but not by much. Overall, I had the time to compare all three print vendors based on quality and shipping cost/speed. They all performed well but one stood out IMHO.

Considering I may wreck a clients' saved cart, It would be a good idea wait till a few months to make the switch in the off-season. Good thing I keyword my photos so a client can find them again quickly if they were to lose their cart.

Cheers