100 years....

rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
edited April 16, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
Was in NYC the other day... Didn't really have anything SCREAM at me, but here are a few ideas....
Thoughts???

2012-04-APRIL-NYC-74-M.jpg

2012-04-APRIL-NYC-EASTER-25-M.jpg

2012-04-APRIL-NYC-42-M.jpg

Comments

• ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2012
    I think the first one looks good, but feel like the processing needs a little more aging. Looking through the gallery, I think most of the pics (my own included) may have gone overboard a little in the aging, but this one is a little too new-sharp looking, in spite of the sepia treatment.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2012
    I really like #2 for the challenge. The Statue of Liberty was there in 1912 and was very symbolic to all the immigrants of the day ("We finally made it. We're really here."). I'm not keen on the processing, though, for this challenge. headscratch.gif It looks grainy/noisy enough, but the toning seems off to me -- at least on this monitor it does.

The toning on #1 looks great, but I agree with Greg that it's a little too sharp-looking.
  • MemolMemol Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2012
    I like # 2. However, I like more sepia color. It's too bluish now.
  • rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2012
    Thanks! I like the sepia on the first, and agree it needs more aging.

The Statue of Liberty came with it's own 'aging' in the filthy, scratched windows of the Staten Island Ferry. The color to me it actually very similar to so many photos I own from the early 1900's, but I can certainly scratch up the first and change color in the second!
  • PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2012
    For me... the subject in #1 screams 50's not 1912. While I know that what we take a photo of doesn't have to be old, but this particular subject with it's overt 50's achitecture kills the idea of it being a 100 year old photo for me. I really like #2 but agree that the color would be better if done sepia or black and white instead of the bluish color.
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2012
    Trish,

I expect the voice of the masses to expect sepia, but I do believe you're correct in the assumption that the bluish tone of your second shot was not unusual in the time. Not sure why I think that, or how I'd prove it... but after all this is the internet - whatever you want to be true can be. ne_nau.gif

For what it's worth, I like the second shot best for the challenge, too. Regardless of the final tonal choice.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
    edited April 16, 2012
    @ Billseye... I tend to agree, based SOLELY on the photos in my house... but I am fine with updating to more sepia!

2012-04-APRIL-NYC-EASTER-25-M.jpg
    edited April 16, 2012
    This is the final entry. I distressed it with a textural photo taken thru the window of the boat on the same trip. The many years of weather on the acrylic window gave me a pretty interesting texture to work with!
    liberty-M.jpg

2012-04-APRIL-NYC-EASTER-23-S.jpg
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,209 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2012
    I like the one you ended up with. It was my favorite. How nice to find a texture right in front of your eyes just when you need it! It's a great one. :D

Sherry