Civil War Re-enactment (Long Post)

DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
edited November 7, 2005 in People
I took the kids up to Moorpark and met up with Nikolai to enjoy the Civil War festivities. The sun was harsh, midday sun, but I think I managed to get a couple. Anyway, you'll get a sense of it. The full gallery is here.

43183360-L.jpg

I musta taken 30 canon shots to get this one. The flash is very elusive. And these things are LOUD!
43182350-L.jpg

I was standing on the confederate side. The light was better :D
43187018-L.jpg

43187310-L.jpg

I'm not sure if this camera was a digital hidden in the box or what. I would wager that he wasn't even taking pictures, but just acting the part for show.
43188198-L.jpg

These guys looked like they were having a great time.
43186551-L.jpg

43192277-L.jpg

They weren't all experienced with their gear.
43192536-L.jpg

But they were having a lot of fun.
43192858-L.jpg

This one was a mistake, when I was dragging a curves marker, but I decided to keep it. Weird.

43183654-L.jpg

and here's Nik:

43189004-L.jpg
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2005
    Mmm mmm.
  • madiggmadigg Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2005
    Very Cool - I have gone to a couple of these in Missouri...
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 6, 2005
    Way Cool. I like the first two images the best.. Catching the flame from the barrel can be very challenging, good job!!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • pmccurdypmccurdy Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited November 6, 2005
    Wonderful
    I'm a huge history buff. Love these shots.

Patrick
  • NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2005
    Great set! Really interesting! and the cannon shot - wow!

"I was standing on the confederate side. The light was better "
    Just wondering if historically this was how some chose sides... :D

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2005
    Thanks, all. I'm interested to see what Nik comes up with. We got separated once the battle started. I was standing next to two guys, each with a 5D, and one of them also had one of those big 1dwhatevers...

It's the kind of day where you're happy to get one good image...and while nothing I got really makes my heart sing, I am happy with the results...
    Moderator Emeritus
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2005
    David,
    DavidTO wrote:
    Thanks, all. I'm interested to see what Nik comes up with. We got separated once the battle started. I was standing next to two guys, each with a 5D, and one of them also had one of those big 1dwhatevers...

It's the kind of day where you're happy to get one good image...and while nothing I got really makes my heart sing, I am happy with the results...
    Man, you did great! That cannon shot - awesome! thumb.gif None of mine does not come close.
    And yes - these things ARE loud! :D

Did the kids enjoy it?
    I did, as you can see - went home, unload the cards and came back for the 3 o'clock battle. I would stay for the 5 pm one, too, but I had prior family engagements..ne_nau.gif

Thanks for sharing, and, as always, it was a pleasure meeting you!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2005
    David, I really like yours of the Civil Battle as well. I've already made a post to Nik's photos (just happen to click on his first). I admire the time and effort that goes into this type of shoot know the amount of time required both in the shoot and the post production for the large quantity of photographs.

I will also mention to you the same thing that I mentioned to Nik and that is:
    You should also consider going BW or sepia on a few of them for that "authentic" old-timey look. You can become the modern era Mathew Brady of Civil War enactments photography. I'm really not pulling your leg too much. I would like to see some of the battle scenes rendered either in BW or sepia. I believe that it would add a sense of realism to them.

I'm always thinking about the market. You have a built in clientèle in the "civilians" in the photos as well as the reenactors. I think that you would be able to open up an even greater market with some BW and sepia prints.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
    ...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!
  • david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2005
    That cannon shot was well worth the effort, great capture.
    Is that a Smugmug hat that Nik is wearing?
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2005
    Smugmug hat
    david_h wrote:
    Is that a Smugmug hat that Nik is wearing?
    yep, my prised trophy from The First Ever Smugmug Shootout 2005!:):
    I hope SM will come out with smth else for the 2006 (but also cool and stylish)!:D
    Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited November 7, 2005
    Thanks, Dixie and David, thanks for looking and especially for commenting. It was a great time. Interesting to see how Nikolai and I had different takes on the same event.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited November 7, 2005
    very nice series David. I too think your canon blast is fabulous!!! thumb.gif
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2005
    excellent series ! i love them
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:

It makes my heart sing!

Oh, for the songs of the south: and the Battle Hymn of the Republic, of course.

Those are wonderful photos, David. Just a wonderful set!! And I like how you worked them up: LAB I am sure!

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited November 7, 2005
    Thanks, all.

Yeah, Ginger. LAB workflow works for me. I chickened out on the canon shot, though. I steepened the a and b curves and the red popped out too much, so I scaled back the magenta and yellow at the far end of the scale, and I think I went too far...

Part of what works for me is customizing my keyboard so that I don't have to use the pull-down menus to go back and forth between LAB and RGB. I also have curves saved for LAB to make it easier.
    Moderator Emeritus