Options

I told Andy I'd report...

JimFuglestadJimFuglestad Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
edited November 6, 2005 in Mind Your Own Business
Hi,

A few weeks ago I was approached by a local art consultant wanting to use my photos for a successful boutique law firm in downtown Minneapolis. I've sold plenty of fine art stuff at the personal level, but I was walking a new path with this.

I wasn't at all sure how to price this stuff since I've never worked with corporate clients before. To complicate, I was working with an art consultant who would be marking up the stuff in addition to what I was charging.

I ended up approaching it similarly to how I began my portrait and wedding business, but with a bit more aggression - to start out a bit lower than I could have in order to get the work out there and generate business. Please take note, this is a strategy, not a way of doing business.

These were big prints for a client that I knew could afford it, but at the same time I don't want a sliding fee structure, so I needed to price it accordingly.

The sale was for:

1 30x40 (20d shot)
4 20x20 (20d shots)
5 24x36 (Three 5 mp Sony 707 shots and 2 Canon 10d shots)

Here they are (I know, the 20x20's look very very small, lol)
IMG_6544%20proof.JPG

I suppose the suspense is killing you. How much did I sell them for? I had them all printed at WHCC on metallic paper and ended up with just shy of $4,000. I'm still not sure what the market bears here, but I am now working with the art consultants on another project. No guarantees, a bit on spec, but we'll see how it plays out.

Anyway... I talked with Andy about this when it was going on and I said I'd report back how it ended up. The open house at the new offices are next week so maybe I'll grab a few pics with them up on the walls.

Jim
Live with intention.
Walk to the edge.
Listen hard.
Pratice wellness.
Play with abandon.
Laugh.
Choose with no regrets.
Appreciate your friends.
Continue to learn.
Do what you love.
Live as if this is all there is.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2005
    clap.gifclap.gif Congrats Jim on a fine sale. Your clients will be very happy - don't forget to get some shots of them on the walls of that law firm!

So glad it worked out well.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2005
    Thats def the best news ive heard in a long time jim (except for 4labs & gubbs new additions)

I can only dream of what you have achieved thumb.gif Its a hard road we travel. I really dont care if i never did sell anything from a personal level.. but as to a means to fund more gear then it would be great.
  • Options
    pmccurdypmccurdy Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited November 6, 2005
    Cool
    Very nice to hear of successful sales and particularly specifics on pricing.

Congrats not only on a successful project, but on establishing an ongoing relationship.

It sounds like you're on a roll...

Patrick
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2005
    Fantastic Jim! Congratulations!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2005
    Nir wrote:
    And also thanks to Shay! The other 1/3 of the equation! I forgot you hang around here, Shay!

Did I do okay? I'm really not completely sure. They ain't no Tribute in Light... but they pay the bills! :-)

Thanks Shay!

jim
    Live with intention.
    Walk to the edge.
    Listen hard.
    Pratice wellness.
    Play with abandon.
    Laugh.
    Choose with no regrets.
    Appreciate your friends.
    Continue to learn.
    Do what you love.
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Thats def the best news ive heard in a long time jim (except for 4labs & gubbs new additions)

I can only dream of what you have achieved thumb.gif Its a hard road we travel. I really dont care if i never did sell anything from a personal level.. but as to a means to fund more gear then it would be great.
    Thanks Mungus. Yeah... I wish that could go towards a 5d rather than a mortgage and food... uhoh2.gif But it sure makes it a lot closer! icon10.gif
    Live with intention.
    Walk to the edge.
    Listen hard.
    Pratice wellness.
    Play with abandon.
    Laugh.
    Choose with no regrets.
    Appreciate your friends.
    Continue to learn.
    Do what you love.
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2005
    Nir wrote:
    Thanks! It's so fun to see you all around here! Weird... the Internet is so huge but yet seems like a small town sometimes.

Jim
    Live with intention.
    Walk to the edge.
    Listen hard.
    Pratice wellness.
    Play with abandon.
    Laugh.
    Choose with no regrets.
    Appreciate your friends.
    Continue to learn.
    Do what you love.
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2005
    andy wrote:
    clap.gifclap.gif Congrats Jim on a fine sale. Your clients will be very happy - don't forget to get some shots of them on the walls of that law firm!

So glad it worked out well.
    Look for pics next Friday. The open house is on Thursday. And I can tell you... these aren't shabby digs.

Thanks man.

Jim
    Live with intention.
    Walk to the edge.
    Listen hard.
    Pratice wellness.
    Play with abandon.
    Laugh.
    Choose with no regrets.
    Appreciate your friends.
    Continue to learn.
    Do what you love.
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2005
    Congratulations
    I know you've worked hard for this!

Dee
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2005
    Way To Go Jim
    Hi,
    Jim

Well how big is that smile on your face rolleyes1.gif congratulations Jim, this is wonderful news, you work so hard at what you do, nice to see you get rewarded in such a wonderful way.

Excellent News Jim clap.gifclap.gif Hooooooray For You clap.gif Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2005
    Hi, and a big congrats Jim! This is great news.

May I ask who was responsible for framing them?

An aquantaince was telling me that when his company moved recently, they were looking for photography for the walls but had to go with drawings from the architect because the photography was too expensive. He doesn't know that I shoot, and we did not get to discuss the issue at any length but I do think there is a market. Now to find how to access it.

Again, congraulations Jim.

ann
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2005
    Ann
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hi, and a big congrats Jim! This is great news.

May I ask who was responsible for framing them?

An aquantaince was telling me that when his company moved recently, they were looking for photography for the walls but had to go with drawings from the architect because the photography was too expensive. He doesn't know that I shoot, and we did not get to discuss the issue at any length but I do think there is a market. Now to find how to access it.

Again, congraulations Jim.

ann

It would be nice to know what he considered too expensive -- for reference...
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2005
    congratulations Jim!!! thats fantastic.. thats just thrilling. clap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2005
    Very glad to see a Dgrinner be successful... CONGRATULATIONS!!!
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2005
    Way to go Jim!

Start tearing it up mwink.gif
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2005
    Any way you slice it, selling, for whatever reason you can conjure, is from a personal level. So don't be goin' and setting up artificial barriers Gus, know what I mean mwink.gif

Who cares why you want to sell, and the reason has nothing to do with how much you can or should charge or how successful you can be.

Humungus wrote:
    I really dont care if i never did sell anything from a personal level.. but as to a means to fund more gear then it would be great.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited November 6, 2005
    Great news, Jim! Congrats for being able to get your work out there that way. thumb.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky