#100 Two Possibilities

StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
edited April 15, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
This is a great idea for a challenge! I've got a couple of possibilities here...both taken during the last equestrian competition my child was in. Tried to avoid real obvious 2012 references...so there are no pictures of my son doing his Western stuff because he has to wear a helmet rather than a cowboy hat. But the English equitation gear is still pretty traditional, so that helped.

Let me know what you think. Do either of these work?

i-mSL3tz2-M.jpg

i-rP8HMb4-M.jpg

Comments

• slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,209 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2012
    I like the first one. The processing gives it more of a sense of 'old'.

Sherry
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2012
    The processing on both is well done. I think either shot would be a good candidate for the challenge, so as to which one you choose would depend on your interpretation of the challenge.

#1 is a superb portrait. I absolutely love the lighting!!! thumb.gif However, in reality you'd never get that close to a horse using a camera of that time period unless you were in the stall with the horse and the horse happened to be very patient. :D So, this is more of the 21st century photo made to look like a 1912 photo.

#2 has the look and feel of 1912. Aesthetically, it's not as pretty as #1 but I personally like the look and feel of it.

If you look at the gallery so far, there all sorts of interpretations on the theme. I wish I could be more helpful but I like BOTH of your photos. rolleyes1.gif
  • StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2012
    slpollett wrote: »
    I like the first one. The processing gives it more of a sense of 'old'.

Sherry

Thanks!
    edited April 13, 2012
    richtersl wrote: »

#1 is a superb portrait. I absolutely love the lighting!!! thumb.gif However, in reality you'd never get that close to a horse using a camera of that time period unless you were in the stall with the horse and the horse happened to be very patient. :D So, this is more of the 21st century photo made to look like a 1912 photo.

I absolutely agree with you...both the equipment and the conventions of the time (horse portraits were almost always full-body, show stance photos) would rule this photo out as an "authentic" 1912 composition.

But I just loved the lighting so much! I'll have to think about how creative I want to be with my interpretation of the challenge.
    edited April 13, 2012
    Third possibility

i-S87fR6w-M.jpg
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2012
    I like the "flying horse" in #3. I can picture a capture like that fascinating to the people of the period.

I wasn't sure how well cameras of the day stopped motion but apparently they did it quite well, based on these equestrian shots taken in 1912: http://equineink.com/2008/07/27/equestrian-events-in-the-modern-olympics/

Thought you might find those interesting.
    edited April 13, 2012
    Thanks for the link, Linda! It is amazing to see how sharp even action-filled photos could be, isn't it?
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2012
    Beautiful shots - I really like your entry!
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
    edited April 15, 2012
    Beautiful shots - I really like your entry!

:D Thanks!
  • billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2012
    All three are good choices and each has something different to offer. As has been said before the lighting in the first one is wonderful. On my monitor there are some patches with hints of red that stand out from the overall sepia tone.

The second is my favorite from the standpoint of posture. While the horse has all feet off the ground in the third shot, he/she is also past the apex of the jump and looks a bit off balance as a result. In the second shot, the subject has not yet reached the apex and looks to be more stable and powerful.

Cool shots!
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug