Help with B&W conversion, please

the brightlinethe brightline Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited November 6, 2005 in Finishing School
Hello All~

This is my first post here! I know this is only my dog, but I like B&W and was trying several B&W conversion techniques in Photoshop.

I think I got carried away with Neat Image in my earlier versions, but I'm wondering if this second one exhibits too much noise. Something just doesn't look right to me.

I don't know how you people work your magiic with Photoshop. I'm a neophyte who gets a headache everytime I use it! Anyway, here's the photo, and thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.

43221229-L.jpg
michele

www.thebrightline.smugmug.com

Comments

• cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2005
    Hi michele,

Welcome to the Digital Darkroom!

There's quite a bit of info around here on color to black & white conversions. This thread is a great place to start.
  • babybluetx23babybluetx23 Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2005
    There is a little bit of noise in the photo. What did U use to convert the photo? I normally use Photoshop, I basically just use the desaturation, that way there is no noise in the photo. It converts beautifully.
    Cynthia Cox
    Arlington, Tx
    http://www.innovativeillusionsphoto.com/

OMP member #: 173034

Canon EOS 5D : Bogen 3051 tripod : Bogen Monopod : Bogen 3030 head unit : Canon Speedlight 580EX : Canon EF 28-200 F3.5 : Canon 70-200 f2.8L : Canon 24-70mm F2.8L and other Canon Gear

The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE." - Ernst Haas
  • the brightlinethe brightline Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited November 6, 2005
    cletus wrote:
    Hi michele,

Welcome to the Digital Darkroom!

There's quite a bit of info around here on color to black & white conversions. This thread is a great place to start.

Thanks for that link! I will definitely read it tonight. There are so many different techniques that it's driving me crazy.

Michele
    michele

• the brightlinethe brightline Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited November 6, 2005
    There is a little bit of noise in the photo. What did U use to convert the photo? I normally use Photoshop, I basically just use the desaturation, that way there is no noise in the photo. It converts beautifully.

Cynthia, I use the Epson Raw converter because I have CS. The RD-1 is not supported unless I upgrade to CS2. I can go back to the raw file and manipulate it a bit before I bring it into photoshop. I have ta tendancy to go overboard with Neat Image and then the image looks plastic and I hate it.

Thanks,
    Michele
    michele