I need a portable flash suggestion

GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
edited April 17, 2012 in Accessories
Its time for me to buy a proper flash for outside portraits. Ive been using vivitar 285 hv's for years now, but for some reason I seem to be going through them like they were disposable. I think ive bought 7 of them and I have 2 left that are working. I think one failed becuase I was using it outside when it was raining, im pretty sure I kept it dry but maybe it got damp or its just a coincidence. I did drop a couple of them from maybe 4', but I havent dropped a flash yet this year *knocks on wood* hehe.

Last year I used a bounce card on my flash and this year I have stepped it up to using a 40" white umbrella to get a softer light outside. Im not 100% sure I can see a difference, I need to do a test shoot again. :) But using the umbrella does cause me to loose some power/distance.

I dont care about auto this and that, im use to using a flash on manual and adjusting power as I go. I would prefer the flash to be weather resistant, just in case. :D I also want something that is at least as powerful as my vivitar 285's that have a general gn of 110, but preferably more powerful. But I definetly want to have faster cycling time.

I try to do most of my outdoor portraits in the shade so the flash is just a fill flash to brighten the eyes and face, but I would like to get more into broad daylight photography, putting the sun behind them and using the flash to balance the exposure, which means I have to use my vivitars at full power and the cycle time just kills the flow.

I generally work by myself, no assistant other than asking a seniors parents to hold the flash for me. Its easier to get them to hold the umbrella right than a reflector so that is why I haven't been using the reflectors.

My first instinct is to go with a canon flash but then it occured to me that it might be a waste of money since my triggers wont be using the eos metering and its not a feature I will probably use.

Sorry for rambling. :) Can anyone suggest a good off camera flash that is fast cycling, powerful and weather proof? :) And preferably wont break the bank. Ill probably have to spend about $500 on this. Which would buy me about 12 vivitar's on ebay, hmmm. :D

Comments

• OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2012
    For $500 you could buy wireless TTL compatible triggers and 1 or 2 flashes to go with that... I'd go with that, personally. If you only need 1 flash, you can also get the best rechargeable AAs on the market and one of the best chargers for them, too.

The two main full time TTL wireless triggers I've found to be reliable and reputable are the Phottix Odin and the Pixel King triggers. Phottix actually makes very top notch stuff. I've used their batteries with my 5D MKII for 3 years and now the 5DMKIII. They still have their full power after charging even after 49.5k actuations over the 3 years and last as long or longer than Canon brand batteries (I have their model without the chip reporting life left) Pixel king is cheaper with a couple limitations but might be all you need. I can't say whats better since I don't own either personally, but I've researched reviews and specs quite a bit in case I do decide to go wireless TTL, since it is a consideration for me at the moment.

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Trigger-Flashes-Transmitter-Receiver/dp/B005TQFRTY

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Phottix-Odin-TTL-Flash-Trigger-for-Canon-/380429259113?pt=Camera_Flash_Accessories&hash=item589359d169

For fast cycling, the better the battery, the better cycle. These Maha Imedion AA's are the best rechargeable AAs on the market with low self discharge for readiness, low internal resistance, and highest amperage for fastest recycling. Best price on 8 packs is currently at Newegg (i just bought one last month)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817355026

There's also 2800mAH versions that aren't low self discharge and will give more flashes, but if you don't use them up often, they will discharge in storage a lot faster than the 2400mAH batteries.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817355002

This is a fantastic charger to go with them and won't add memory effects to the batteries, although any charger can be used with them. A 1000-1200ma charge is a healthy charge rate for these batteries and shouldn't add memory to them. You can of course charge them in 1 hour it just will wear down the life quicker. But, in emergencies its worth doing.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817355021

As for weatherproof... no idea, never seen one. I usually shoot with a remote cable, so my weatherproofing brand is 'Rubberband on ziplock bag' Inc. and if I have the flash on the hotshoe, I use this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&sku=583456&is=REG&A=details&Q=

I got mine for $5 on ebay though, there are places with better prices. If you're not reckless with it, the bags will last for years. I've had mine for 2 years now and haven't even used the 2nd bag in the 2 pack I bought. They're well made.
  • GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2012
    well the canon speedlite 580 ex II is weatherproof, im sure to a point. :) I dont use it in direct rain, well try not to at least. :)
    edited April 16, 2012
    I use this flash:

https://www.adorama.com/SUPZ42XCA.html

Its actually gotten a little bit more expensive since I bought it. The metering is very accurate and it has very flexible features. I bought it for manual power output settings and the TTL is a very nice thing on the side. Recharge time with the Imedion AA batteries is about 2.1 seconds on manual. I never shoot 1/1 manual unless I have to though, since I can use 1/4 to 1/16 since its plenty to light up a portrait at ISO 800, and get a strobe effect to boot for rapid succession. ISO 800 is the new ISO 100 for me if its exposed right, lol.

No matter what flash you get though, the batteries will make the biggest difference. My flash is rated 3.5 seconds manual and those batteries give 2.1 seconds, and are consistent. Huge difference.
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2012
    GerryDavid wrote: »
    I would prefer the flash to be weather resistant, just in case.

I use a clear plastic (freezer) bag over mine (550ex) when using same in rain / snow etc. An elastic band completes the accessory list :)

pp
    edited April 16, 2012
    I use a clear plastic (freezer) bag over mine (550ex) when using same in rain / snow etc. An elastic band completes the accessory list :)

pp

Hey, you got yours from the same company as me! lol
    edited April 16, 2012
    so the 2.1 seconds is for a 1/4 recycle time? I do like the price point. I do like the higher gn on the canon though, but for the price you could buy 4 of these for the canon price. :) any idea on how weather proofed this is?

to many choices, hehe. I am leaning towards the canon though. I think the cheaper ones may even have a different color cast for different outputs? I could be wrong though.
    I use this flash:

https://www.adorama.com/SUPZ42XCA.html

Its actually gotten a little bit more expensive since I bought it. The metering is very accurate and it has very flexible features. I bought it for manual power output settings and the TTL is a very nice thing on the side. Recharge time with the Imedion AA batteries is about 2.1 seconds on manual. I never shoot 1/1 manual unless I have to though, since I can use 1/4 to 1/16 since its plenty to light up a portrait at ISO 800, and get a strobe effect to boot for rapid succession. ISO 800 is the new ISO 100 for me if its exposed right, lol.

No matter what flash you get though, the batteries will make the biggest difference. My flash is rated 3.5 seconds manual and those batteries give 2.1 seconds, and are consistent. Huge difference.
    edited April 17, 2012
    so the 2.1 seconds is for a 1/4 recycle time? I do like the price point. I do like the higher gn on the canon though, but for the price you could buy 4 of these for the canon price. :) any idea on how weather proofed this is?

to many choices, hehe. I am leaning towards the canon though. I think the cheaper ones may even have a different color cast for different outputs? I could be wrong though.

No, 2.1 seconds is full manual recycle time. On 1/4 I can blast 4-5 shots out quickly before having to actually recycle.

As for color cast... not really. Set the WB on flash and whites are very... white. Lol.

They're definitely not weather resistant like the Canons, but I'd still put a plastic bag on the 580 no matter what, lol. Unless it was waterproof for certain. But its not. I keep plastic baggies in the bottom of the cases of each piece of equipment I have. It flattens out and doesnt really take space so it fits in my flash's case for emergencies. As well as a grocery bag in my SLR's bag. Lol.
    edited April 17, 2012
    when I was doing my research for a studio strobe, they were saying the cheaper ones produce a different white temperature at different power outputs. I think this is true with my vivitars since I always have to adjust white balance picture to picture when I did group events in the past.

This one is more tempting than the canon one now, I could buy two of these and hook them up to a single umbrella when im outside to get faster cycling times. And it will already cycle much faster than what im use to with my vivitar and more powerful to. hmm.
  • r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2012
    $500?

http://www.paulcbuff.com/b400.php ($250)

http://www.paulcbuff.com/vagabond.php ($240)

Done. Portable serious power and great for expansion.

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
    edited April 17, 2012
    from the description:
    • third-generation true sine wave portable power source
    • reliable lithium battery power for 1 to 4 flashes
    • small and lightweight (just 3.5 pounds)
    • 120 VAC for use with all standard Paul C. Buff™ flashes
    I need a battery pack that will last me more than 4 pictures :D *is joking*
  • r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2012
    from the description:
    • third-generation true sine wave portable power source
    • reliable lithium battery power for 1 to 4 flashes
    • small and lightweight (just 3.5 pounds)
    • 120 VAC for use with all standard Paul C. Buff™ flashes
    I need a battery pack that will last me more than 4 pictures :D *is joking*
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
    edited April 17, 2012
    That is a very nice strobe/battery combo. I like that a lot. If I ever get into studio stuff seriously I want that type of solution.