Options

New S100 went Swimming

ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
edited April 17, 2012 in Cameras
So my 3 week old S100 was in my waders top pocket when I went deeper than expected and water rushed into the pocket.

I pulled the camera out within miliseconds, shook it entirely off, and took out the battery and disk.

I brought it home, and put it in a bowl of rice, in the oven at 150 degrees (F). Its been there since 5pm last night.

What are the odds its ok? What should I check?

Z

PS: We will all know tonight after work!
It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.

Comments

• Options
    edited April 16, 2012
    Seymore wrote: »
    Salt water I suspect? (or fresh?) If salt, I'd expect that if it does still work, the long-term of the life of the camera has been shorten dramatically. Expect to replace sooner, rather than later. If fresh water, hard to say. Could die now, or 5 years down the road. But I still expect any camera, exposed to water, to have a shortened left span.

Fresh. And really no more than a big splash.
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    MLangtonMLangton Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2012
    I'm with Seymore.

From the sound of it, I am cautiously optimistic that it will still work. I would not bet on it though. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. We just picked one of these up for the wife. It seems like a pretty well built camera. I would bet on the moving parts freezing up much sooner, rather than later now.

Look at the bright side... Now you have a better excuse to upgrade to the S1?? when it comes out. thumb.gif

Good luck.
    More photo, less shop.

http://mlangton.smugmug.com
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited April 16, 2012
    As long as there's no water swishing around inside the camera, I'll bet it's fine. I'd be more worried about baking it in the oven overnight.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 16, 2012
    kdog wrote: »
    As long as there's no water swishing around inside the camera, I'll bet it's fine. I'd be more worried about baking it in the oven overnight.
    Seymore wrote: »
    Well, give it a try. If just a splash, I would expect it to make it thru.

But, as Kdog mentioned, the 150 deg in the oven could have caused more problems that it would solve. Putting the camera in a non-heated oven would have been better. Still (usually) the driest area in the house.

I agree with Kdog and Seymore, the oven might be a problem.
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2012
    captain78 wrote: »
    I agree with Kdog and Seymore, the oven might be a problem.

I just heated it up once to start the drying process, I didnt leave it for prolonged periods. Not much different that being in the desert SW.

It works fine now with photos, but has some playback issues on video. I never used the video so I dont know if this is new or existing.

I may just send it back to Canon for a check up.
    (and piece of mind.)

Thanks to all...

Z
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2012
    Well I cannot say as far as the S100 which I have one and absolutely love it. I cringed when I initially read post. I baptized my wife one afternoon when she was in our canoe talking on her cell phone (HTC) and shifted on her PFD cushion tippped the canoe and went in phone and all. We gave it the same treatment after the fact to dry it out. Heated oven to 150 lowest setting then turned off placing phone inside with rice. 2 days dry time. The phone is still working today almost a year later.
    A trip to Canon might not be a bad idea. Hope you have good news from them. I have only used the video twice on mine but play back is smooth.
    Best wishes
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2012
    I saw a guys pics in a magazine once from a point and shoot that went swimming. It damaged something in the camera and now he takes photos that look like paintings. He sells it as art and makes some $$