Options

WA lens question

ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
edited November 6, 2005 in Cameras
Yea, yea I know this has been asked before, but I'm still stumped. Here is what I'm wanting to do.

Don has acquired quite a conifer collection and I would like to do an album on SM for him. So I need a lens that works for overall landscape as well as close-ups of needles and cones and individual trees. Would a prime do this? Or best to get something like the 17-40L or a Sigma, or, or? I'm not even sure 17 would be wide enough? Money is an issue, would like to keep it under or around 600.00. We are now on the barter system X amount for lens = X amount of trees:rolleyes

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2005
    Thusie wrote:
    Yea, yea I know this has been asked before, but I'm still stumped. Here is what I'm wanting to do.

Don has acquired quite a conifer collection and I would like to do an album on SM for him. So I need a lens that works for overall landscape as well as close-ups of needles and cones and individual trees. Would a prime do this? Or best to get something like the 17-40L or a Sigma, or, or? I'm not even sure 17 would be wide enough? Money is an issue, would like to keep it under or around 600.00. We are now on the barter system X amount for lens = X amount of treesrolleyes1.gif

Thanks in advance

The 17-40L is a fine choice. So is the 10-22 EF-S. Both can be had for under $600 - check the flea market here, they come up for sale often.

here's a 10-22 for sale right here in dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2005
    andy wrote:
    The 17-40L is a fine choice. So is the 10-22 EF-S. Both can be had for under $600 - check the flea market here, they come up for sale often.

here's a 10-22 for sale right here in dgrin
    Thanks Andy! Sort of decided I was going to stay away from the EF-S lenses, my pea brain at work here:D
  • Options
    leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2005
    A couple other lenses to consider are the Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 and the Sigma 18-50 f2.8

I already had the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 and I didn't want to part with it to get the Sigma 18-50...so I went with the Tamron 17-35 and have been very happy with it. In addition to being about 40% cheaper than the Canon 17-40L, it's also a stop faster on the wide end.

I'm finding this to be my most used lens indoors. It's nice to have a wide angle on my 20D again. 28 is definately not "wide" on a cropped sensor camera.

If you want really wide...Sigma, Tamron and Tokina all have a lens to compete with Canon's 10-20 ef-s.

Lee
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2005
    leebase wrote:
    A couple other lenses to consider are the Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 and the Sigma 18-50 f2.8

Lee
    Thanks for the advice Lee and those lenses were acouple I had written down..However the issue is resolved, bought a 17-40L from a DG'erclap.gif I really love my 70-200 f/4L so...Why am I buying L glassheadscratch.gif My picture taking skill certianly doesn't warrent it.

N.

The idiot behind the camera