Issue with Events

cbanthamcbantham Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited April 19, 2012 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I love the fact that I can create Events to not only group galleries but also for marketing and privacy purposes. I've come across an issue when using the Events feature that seems like a critical issue for me and I'd appreciate some feedback. Here goes....One of the options with "Events" is to require registration (users required to enter name and email address). They then get an email with a personalized link. I know that this link now allows them to select 'favorites' but I also thought it was a way for me to monitor and somewhat control who was viewing the galleries. I was puzzled with my last event to have what seemed like many more visitors to the event galleries then the number of people who had registered -- since I required registration to view the gallery.
What I've now learned is that anyone who goes to the event link, registers and then follows their personal link, views a photo and clicks on the Facebook "LIKE" button posts the link on there FB page. The link that SmugMug posts to FB is not through the event link but straight into the gallery and no registration prompt is needed. One person posts it on FB, 50 people click on the link. 51 visitors to the gallery and I've collected one email address.

Any suggestions or work arounds?

Chris
http://www.chrisbantham.com

Comments

• LindyLindy Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2012
    Hey Chris.

The option to allow new visitors to register is probably foiling you. You can choose who your participants are, and only allow others to view the Event using the visitors link. Your participants can share them, as well as you.

Be sure to check the options carefully, and decide what your preference is: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/en/portal/articles/83125

Sure hope that helps!

Lindy
  • cbanthamcbantham Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited April 18, 2012
    Lindy, thanks for the assist but I still must be missing something. You write "only allow others to view the Event using the visitors link." and that is what I want to do however the first time someone uses the Facebook Like button it publishes a link that bypasses the event and takes them straight to the gallery. I read the help page multiple times and poured over the preferences again.

I understand that I can disable the Facebook function however I thought that was a major selling point of "events".
    Chris

QUOTE=Lindy;1766378]Hey Chris.

The option to allow new visitors to register is probably foiling you. You can choose who your participants are, and only allow others to view the Event using the visitors link. Your participants can share them, as well as you.

Be sure to check the options carefully, and decide what your preference is: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/en/portal/articles/83125

Sure hope that helps!

Lindy[/QUOTE]
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2012
    cbantham wrote: »
    Lindy, thanks for the assist but I still must be missing something. You write "only allow others to view the Event using the visitors link." and that is what I want to do however the first time someone uses the Facebook Like button it publishes a link that bypasses the event and takes them straight to the gallery. I read the help page multiple times and poured over the preferences again.

I understand that I can disable the Facebook function however I thought that was a major selling point of "events".
    Chris
    There are two ways to go about it.

1. If you'd like to make use of Facebook in your event galleries, you have to accept that your event participants may like or share a photo from an event gallery and thus bring visitors directly to that gallery bypassing the event page.

2. If you want everyone to go through the event page and register, you can password protect the galleries from an event and in the event select that once a user has registered for the event, they can bypass the password automatically. That would keep out others that try to come in via a gallery link without accessing the event page first and registering for it.
    You couldn't make use of Facebook in that case.

I'm sorry, Chris. It's not possible to have both at this point.

You could add your suggestion to our feedback pages:
    http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug
    That way other users can vote and comment on your suggestion, and it helps us to keep track of all suggestions made.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero