Options

Aussie Rules Football

AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
edited April 22, 2012 in Sports
As promised. Some shots from the weekend.
Our town has a population of 1400 people. Each town in the league has a football club.
On our "away" matches the closest town is 50km (30miles) but all the rest are 100-150km (60-90miles). There are 4 grades (levels). A-Grade / B-Grade for the adults and Senior Colts (Under 17years old) and Junior Colts (Under 14years old).
Everyone plays just because they love to - they are just regular people with normal jobs during the week. We are definitely at the grass roots of football. Footy leagues, like ours, are where all players start playing the game.

Our players are the ones in red/black and white with white shorts. The opposition are in red and white with red shorts.

#1: Matt is taking a mark (catch) whilst the opponent was doing everything he could to knock the ball away (called a "spoil"). When a player takes a mark - no-one can tackle him and he gets to have a free kick.
i-BfdQMX4-M.jpg

#2: Jamie is our A-Grade captain. Very courageous player. Often puts himself in "harms way" to get possession of the ball ... and he is only a little guy. Players are not allow to throw the ball. They can only kick the ball or handball. Jamie is handballing here. The ball rests on the palm of one hand and the other hand must be a clenched fist and is used to hit the ball off the hand.
i-ts8j6Vg-M.jpg

#3: The opponent is trying to take a mark but Jacob has timed his run to perfection and has punched the ball away ("spoil") to stop him from doing it. The ball is now in dispute. Kevin (on the left) is ready and waiting to pick up the ball - he was anticipating that Jacob would be successful in his spoiling.
Jacobs head is bandaged up that way because earlier in the match he got a knock that opened up a fair sized gash. Players must leave the ground for treatment if they have flowing blood (the game stops whilst he leaves and gets replaced by another player). In order to get Jacob back onto the field as soon as possible, the medical staff do "quick and dirty" fixes just to stop the blood flowing. This is the end result! Much prettier than some I can tell you! After the match he went to the hospital to get some stitches.
i-rgdjvQ6-M.jpg

#4: Our player, Matt was attempting to mark the ball (catch it). However the opponent came running it and crashed into Matt's back as he jumped up to take the mark over him ... he juggled it a few times. Not many more nervous feeling in footy as waiting for the ball to come down when you know there is one or more players bearing down on you to take the mark themselves. You are just a "sitting duck" and you know you are going to get hit hard.
i-xqLJDLJ-M.jpg

#5: These guys are "Senior Colts" players - 15/16 year olds. Our player had gained possession of the ball and then was run down by the opposition player who drove him into the ground - causing the ball to spill loose. A free kick should be given to a player if he has been pushed in the back. Can't remember if this happened here. I know it's usually better to have show player's faces, but I like the unusual angle of this one and knowing how much pain/violence is happening to the player underneath.
i-D3V6JLT-M.jpg
My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
www.acecootephotography.com

Comments

• Options
    bluesman grahambluesman graham Registered Users Posts: 254 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2012
    Great insight into the game Ace & pretty damn good images too:D. there is an Aussie rules league near me so I may get down over the summer & see for myself. Kind regards Graham.
    Graham.

C&C most welcome

Nikon D3s,D3, D2hs x2 Nikkor 70-200 2.8, Nikkor 24-70 2.8, Nikkor AF-SII 300 2.8, Nikkor 1.4 & 1.7 converters etc.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bluesmangraham/
  • Options
    73Rocks73Rocks Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2012
    Great shots Ace!

In #2 you nailed the action at just the right moment!

Ditto what bluesman said . . . thanks for the insight to what is happening in the images.

It looks like it is not a sport for those who do like bodily contact! And it is played outdoors in the sunlight . . . great for us "shutterbugs".
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2012
    Thank you both for taking the time to look and comment - very much appreciated.
    Yes, its a game with plenty of hits, plenty of speed. Does get a bit dark in the middle of winter towards the end of the last game but generally light isn't much of an issue.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
  • Options
    Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2012
    This reminds me of the two times I went to Australia for the military. When I was there in '04 I want to say it was Port Adelaide (we were staying in Adelaide) won the Grand Final and people were going mad. Great place, great sport, great people. I will be a life long fan of Aussie (or Auzzie how they say it down unda) Rules Football. Thanks for posting these!
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2012
    This reminds me of the two times I went to Australia for the military. When I was there in '04 I want to say it was Port Adelaide (we were staying in Adelaide) won the Grand Final and people were going mad. Great place, great sport, great people. I will be a life long fan of Aussie (or Auzzie how they say it down unda) Rules Football. Thanks for posting these!

Aaaaaaaaaaaagh!!!!!!!!! Don't remind me about that match - VERY depressing for me (the team I follow is the OTHER Adelaide team - the Adelaide Crows). Pt Adelaide's win just meant having to suffer for the next year as their "fans" kept on reminding us how good they were!!!
    Obviously I think Aussie Rules is great - it has a bit of everything from every other code of football and then some.
    Thanks for taking the time to comment. thumb.gif
  • Options
    Scott293Scott293 Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2012
    Ace very nice shots and thank you for your interpretation on the game. I usually dont like shots from the back like #5 but with the ball that is cool. Very nice set it reminds me of some rugby games I shot last year.
    Scott Davis

Nikon D70,D2H,D300,Nikkor 300mm f2.8,Nikkor 80-200 f2.8, Nikkor 24-70 AF-S f2.8,Nikkor 50 f1.8

www.ScottDavis.smugmug.com