Options

High Key Baby!

IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
edited May 22, 2012 in People
No . . . really. A baby.
I stepped way out of my comfort zone yesterday and shot a six-month-old. Then went whole hog on the scary bit and tried a high-key set. I think his personality really comes through in this shot. This was my first "fire for effect" studio work with my new Pocket Wizards and I'm convinced they made the whole exercise a lot easier. Shooting in manual mode without the annoying pre-flashes of the Nikon CLS was nice. No blinkey eyes!

High-key is a totally new genre for me. Critique appreciated.

i-qp6GW5Z-XL.jpg
John :
Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited April 18, 2012
    First of all, this baby's pose and expression couldn't possibly be any cuter. If you can pull this off on demand with other babies, you have an incredible future in baby photography.

Second I'd say you nailed the lighting beautifully. You got just the right amount of blown background without blowing out the edges of your subject with too much reflected light. I'd be hanging this one on my wall. thumb.gif
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2012
    Very nice, John!
    As you have probably figured out by now, fully manual high key setup is *the* simplest and easiest "professionally looking" lighting setup possible. Simply blast the BG, provide enough fill for the subject - and you're golden!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2012
    Boy, I can't find anything at all wrong with this. In addition to the expression, pose and high key light, I love the slight rim light on the camera left side of his face. Not sure if it was bounce back or not.

Careful though John, if you do really good baby portraiture, word gets around and one day you'll wake up and it will be 90% of your business.

On the plus side, if that happens, you have a perfectly good excuse to have a drink or two at the end of the day! :D
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2012
    Thanks Joel. Can't say I had anything much to do with the cuteness. He just seemed to want to engage with the camera. Thanks too, for the kind words on the technical stuff.

Nik, thank you very much. I really appreciated my Sekonic flash meter. Made it a lot easier to get into the ball park with the ratios. Then I just tweaked 'till I liked what I was seeing.

Bryce, you're very kind. I used bare speedlights to light the BG, but I did strap flags on them to keep the light off the baby. He was only around five feet in front of the backdrop, so I did have to watch the spill. One disadvantage to babies . . . they aren't patient, and when they're finished, so are you. I knew I wouldn't be able to fiddle with the light setup once he got there so I used some more patient models to test my setup.

i-8zdDgsR-L.jpg

Anybody who can make a profession of shooting babies or animals is made of far more resilient stuff than I. bowdown.gifbow
    John :
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2012

On the plus side, if that happens, you have a perfectly good excuse to have a drink or two at the end of the day! :D

Double perfect Tito's Vodka martini! (With a twist) clap.gif
    Done and done.
    John :
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2012
    Love it!

I am visiting my son's family and three year old granddaughter. I have a few shots I took in a restaurant where I bounced light off a wall and she is in front of an old wooden booth as a background. When I get home I will finish edits and post.

I take a lot of event photos of children and a few schools and I love it. Most kids want their photos taken, as opposed to many adults. Their natural enthusiasm is contagious!!

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    LubinskiLubinski Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited May 16, 2012
    Love the photo and I think you nailed it.
    ~Lubinski
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2012
    Thanks guys. I appreciate that you took the time to comment.
    John :
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2012
    You really nailed capturing that pose, which surely lasted for a fleeting moment considering the subject. It's unique to baby photography that I've seen, and I think that's about as close to an "impossible achievement" as you may get in the next decade hahaha.
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2012
    Bravo John, well done.
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    mjoshi123mjoshi123 Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2012
    Icebear wrote: »
    No . . . really. A baby.
    I stepped way out of my comfort zone yesterday and shot a six-month-old. Then went whole hog on the scary bit and tried a high-key set. I think his personality really comes through in this shot. This was my first "fire for effect" studio work with my new Pocket Wizards and I'm convinced they made the whole exercise a lot easier. Shooting in manual mode without the annoying pre-flashes of the Nikon CLS was nice. No blinkey eyes!

High-key is a totally new genre for me. Critique appreciated.

Beautifully done, keep up great work.
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2012
    Wow! Thanks guys.
    John :
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2012
    Congrats, really nice capture and pp.
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2012
    Ya know, after looking at this again for a while, I think I would have really liked to see some bare piggy's.

As I said before, it's really a great portrait all around. The bare toes would have been an added bonus in my mind.
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2012
    Thanks, Charles.
    Yeah, Bryce, I agree. Mom dressed him in several outfits for the session. I did get some "bare piggie" shots, but they were not as good as this one. OK, but not top drawer.
    John :
  • Options
    Pono PhotoPono Photo Registered Users Posts: 68 Beginner grinner
    edited May 19, 2012
    Fantastic shot! And I agree, either bare piggys or at least socks with out words on them. lol, I kept finding myself trying to read what it said on his wee little socks. Adorable kid!
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2012
    Pono Photo wrote: »
    at least socks with out words on them

I did get rid of the lettering for Mom's prints, after asking for her preference.
    John :
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2012
    I did get rid of the lettering for Mom's prints, after asking for her preference.

Could you give a few details on the setup?

How far is the baby from the background?
    Is the baby on a fleece blanket as it appears?
    What lens did you use?

Any other details you would like to provide is appreciated.

Phil
    Phil
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2012
    Could you give a few details on the setup?

How far is the baby from the background?
    Is the baby on a fleece blanket as it appears?
    What lens did you use?

Any other details you would like to provide is appreciated.

Phil

He was about five feet in front of the bg, which was indeed a white fleece sheet. This was shot with the D700 and the 70-200 f/2.8. ISO 200. 1/250th @ f/9. Key light was a boom-mounted 28" Wescott Apollo with an SB600 and SB800 inside. BG was lit by two SB600s with flags to keep them from lighting the baby. Flashes were controlled by Pocket Wizards. Everything was pre-set manually before the baby arrived. Mom was leaning over my shoulder. I did not use a tripod for this session. Ambient light was inconsequential.
    John :
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2012
    He was about five feet in front of the bg, which was indeed a white fleece sheet. This was shot with the D700 and the 70-200 f/2.8. ISO 200. 1/250th @ f/9. Key light was a boom-mounted 28" Wescott Apollo with an SB600 and SB800 inside. BG was lit by two SB600s with flags to keep them from lighting the baby. Flashes were controlled by Pocket Wizards. Everything was pre-set manually before the baby arrived. Mom was leaning over my shoulder. I did not use a tripod for this session. Ambient light was inconsequential.

Thanks much. One additional question. Are you using a Sekonic meter with the Pocket Wizards?

Phil
    Phil
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2012
    Thanks much. One additional question. Are you using a Sekonic meter with the Pocket Wizards?

Phil

Yes and no. I use the meter, but I don't have the chip in it. I use another wireless remote. Haven't got around to it yet is all.
    John :
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2012
    Yes and no. I use the meter, but I don't have the chip in it. I use another wireless remote. Haven't got around to it yet is all.

Thanks. i am trying to figure out how that would work. I am still rookie in this area.

Phil
    Phil