Options

Hockey

Dayv27Dayv27 Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited April 20, 2012 in Sports
I'm the house photographer for our local ice rink. I shoot about 4 youth hockey games a month.
IMG5284-L.jpg
IMG5808-L.jpg

My main rink is pretty dark. At best I can shoot 1/125 F2.8 1000ISO. I get to shoot at a pro arena when our kids play there, and I can shoot a lot faster.
IMG2490-L.jpg
IMG2967-L.jpg

I recently added a second camera body to my toybox, and tried setting it up for during the games. I hope to be able to get the second camera in the net next season, but this was the first attempt shooting remotely.
IMG1934-L.jpg
IMG1813-L.jpg

One of the problems with the remote location was that someone opened a door behind the camera that allowed a lot of light to reflect of the glass to the right of the goalie.

All of these shots have no remote flashes for fill lighting. I don't have a way to rig remote strobes in the arenas, especially when I get to shoot road games.

The main body used is a Canon 60D with a 70-200 f2.8 IS L , and the remote was a Canon Rebel XSI with a 24-105 f4 L.
My wife says if I buy one more lens she's going to leave me. I'm sure going to miss her.

www.umlautphotography.com

Comments

• Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2012
    I think it's great start over all and you have the action part down, but for sports, I believe in the mantra of "shoot tight, crop tighter". Also, you are color is shifting between the frames. I don't know if these frames are processed or if they're are SOC, but the WB should be tweaked in a few of them and a few could benefit from a 1/3 to a 1/2 stop bump.

With two cameras, have you ever considered a goalie cam? keep on shooting! thumb.gif
  • Options
    Dayv27Dayv27 Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2012
    aktse wrote: »
    I think it's great start over all and you have the action part down, but for sports, I believe in the mantra of "shoot tight, crop tighter". Also, you are color is shifting between the frames. I don't know if these frames are processed or if they're are SOC, but the WB should be tweaked in a few of them and a few could benefit from a 1/3 to a 1/2 stop bump.

With two cameras, have you ever considered a goalie cam? keep on shooting! thumb.gif

White balance is terrible at the home rink. It's a mix of florescent and sodium lights, and there are parts where bulbs are out. I've thought about putting grey-cards around the rink so that I can balance color more evenly.

And goalie cam, definitely. The pre-made kits run $400+, and I'm looking into the "do-it-yourself" version. I hope to have it by next season.
    My wife says if I buy one more lens she's going to leave me. I'm sure going to miss her.

www.umlautphotography.com