Options

Selling 10.1 MP prints

ChrisFLChrisFL Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
edited April 22, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
I understand DPI, etc, etc, etc.

At 10.1 MP, optimal max print size is about 8" x 12". Would you be comfortable offering larger sizes for sale?

Comments

• Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2012
    In the SmugMug help on print sizes they show a 6MP image used to make a 24"x30" print. They also have a chart with recommended images sizes vs. print sizes.

http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93359-resolution-for-printing

ChrisFL wrote: »

At 10.1 MP, optimal max print size is about 8" x 12". Would you be comfortable offering larger sizes for sale?
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2012
    Thanks! I see that. I won't be printing with smug mug though, but through a local pro shop. Should I be worried about how good they are at up sampling if I wanted say an 18" x 12" or a 24" x 16"?
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2012
    Thanks! I see that. I won't be printing with smug mug though, but through a local pro shop. Should I be worried about how good they are at up sampling if I wanted say an 18" x 12" or a 24" x 16"?

I don't think so. I have made 20" x 30" prints from a few 6mp prints through Wally World's sendout service (FujiFilm) and they looked as good as a 4" x 6" print. I beleive they use Epson wide format printers for their larger prints. I know that as they get around to upgrading the in-store equipment at all the WalMart stores, they are going to a dry lab setup to get away from the chemicals. I was told that they will all have an HP wide format printer to do the larger sizes in store.

To answer your question further, have a test print done at the largest size you plan on making, or larger, and make your decession based on that print. More than likely, they will be just fine!

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2012
    Thank you GaryB!
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2012
    If you're worried then get Perfect Resize (used to be Genuine Fractals) it is so easy to uprez your images....I have used it from almost it's inception...i took 6mp images to 40x60@300dpi with it and the end result was totally amazing. I know my local Pro Lab prefers that I uprez with GF rather than using their RIP software....especially since I want my images done at a min of 300DPI ....

Good Luck.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2012
    Art Scott wrote: »
    If you're worried then get Perfect Resize (used to be Genuine Fractals) it is so easy to uprez your images....I have used it from almost it's inception...i took 6mp images to 40x60@300dpi with it and the end result was totally amazing. I know my local Pro Lab prefers that I uprez with GF rather than using their RIP software....especially since I want my images done at a min of 300DPI ....

Good Luck.

GF must have improved over the years. When I worked at Burell, we didn't want people to upsize because the algorithm in the RIP did a much better job than what was available and it was tuned for that specific output device.

My suggestion, talk to your lab. See what they suggest you do. If it's truly a pro-lab, they should be able to print an 8x10 crop of the photo so you can see what the detail would be like blown up to full size.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2012

Yes. And it can really depend on the photo, right?
    The larger it is the more distance for viewing is intended. I have a 4 foot by 6 foot behind me on the wall, and a 4ft. by 10ft. in front of me. The 4x6 actually looks good from three feet. and the other is a macro of flox which really ...just looks great!

And both were from a 12 MP Camera. But in truth, even on my D70, which is 6Mp, I'd do them the same way and it'd be fine.
    tom wise
  • Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2012
    Using stair stepping in photoshop some years ago I did a 60x60" print from a 4mp Olympus E10 image. That too looked fine when standing far too close and from 10Ft away, was unreal.
    When you can make out the eyelashes on a portrait that big, what else do you want? Girls head was about 3 times life size.

I have knocked out endless 30x40s from 6 and 8Mp cams and they are perfect especially for clients whom don't over analyze the the crap out of things like shooters do.
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2012
    Thanks folks! This is incredibly helpful.