Options

Mac/apple bundlef color calibration software and i1display2

vdotmatrixvdotmatrix Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
edited April 22, 2012 in Finishing School
I made the jump to mac mini a few weeks ago. a core program already installed is a color calibration program. I have the I1 display 2 hardware but xrite software is not written for mac so I found a have to use some other pro software from ex right I am not sure if its proper fit. I have an NEC MONITOR.

1. has anyone evaluated the color calibration software for mac?
2. is the pro xrite for mac software reliable?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2012
    If you're talking about the Calibrate button in the Displays system preference, that's a software-only, visual-only utility that does not interface with any professional calibration hardware. Because it is visually driven, it is nowhere near as reliable as a hardware calibrator. If you have any access to a hardware calibrator, don't bother with the OS X bundled one as it is a very casual solution.

Unfortunately I can't give advice on the other software as I have been using an older, different calibrator and need to get a new one.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2012
    X-Rite is definitely written for the Mac. I'm using it. You can download it here.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2012
    DavidTO wrote: »
    X-Rite is definitely written for the Mac. I'm using it. You can download it here.

Yes thats the one i am using with my i-one display 2 for my new mac mini 2.7hz i7, 16gb system.
    the previous version that i used on my xppro ststen flavor for Mac was incompatible with lion.

This version had some issues. Go to your console utility and see if the xrite prigram is trying to phone home and cant. There are 2 updates for this and i am not home to tell you the files. So with this version there are many more profiles.

I only used something like a target of 6500, 120 and gamma 2.2, but this version doesnt have me adjust rgb.

What profile should i use with i1display2?

Thanks
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2012
    colourbox wrote: »
    If you're talking about the Calibrate button in the Displays system preference, that's a software-only, visual-only utility that does not interface with any professional calibration hardware. Because it is visually driven, it is nowhere near as reliable as a hardware calibrator. If you have any access to a hardware calibrator, don't bother with the OS X bundled one as it is a very casual solution.

Unfortunately I can't give advice on the other software as I have been using an older, different calibrator and need to get a new one.
    With my system there is something maybe called icolor. It supposedly calubrates my monitor and plots profile over time. When i get home and off this tiny smart phone i can tell you more. Thanks
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2012
    Which NEC? IF a SpectraView, you want to use the NEC software to fully control the calibration of the panel. That is the only solution that can fully control the SpectraView hardware fully.
    I only used something like a target of 6500, 120 and gamma 2.2, but this version doesnt have me adjust rgb.

See:http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/why_are_my_prints_too_dark.shtml
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2012
    arodney wrote: »
    Which NEC? IF a SpectraView, you want to use the NEC software to fully control the calibration of the panel. That is the only solution that can fully control the SpectraView hardware fully.

See:http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/why_are_my_prints_too_dark.shtml

Nah, I have the NEC Multisync EA231wmi; I have always used the i1display2 with PERFECT results with the i1MATCH software. Now I have switched to a MAC and the software. I just found this link:

http://www.xritephoto.com/custom_page.aspx?lang=en&PageID=273

this was the write program the needed updating associated with this: com.aladdin.hasplmd

The xrite link above IS the link to the software I should be using for mac and the i1display2 hardware.