Civil War Battles

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited November 7, 2005 in People
DavidTO already beat me to this, but I'm still gonna post :-)

This weekend (Nov 5-6 2006) Moorpark Rotary Club held a Civil War Battle Reenactment event on the grounds of Tierra Rejada Ranch.
I was able to witness and take a few (hundred:-) pictures of two battle events on Saturday.

I was also able to do a basic post processing on the same night, after which I left my Star*Explorer uploading some 300+ (1Gb+) hires pictures (man, do I like the fact that smugmug account comes with an unlimited storage:-) for the night, which task it successfully accomplished automatically in less than 3h 15 min (I was long asleep).

This morning I prepared some narrow selection from this photo plunder of mine.

To avoid overloading weak connections, I split my "war report" into several posts, all submitted as reply to this one.

Even so, please be warned that each of them contains more than one 600x800 image:-)

All images taken with Canon 20D.
Camp shots: EF 28-135 IS USM
Battle shots: EF 100-400L IS USM

Link to event page: http://nik.smugmug.com/Events/128343

Enjoy back in time shooting!
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2005
    Camp the Crowd
    Camp and Crowd

The encampment consisted of roughly four areas: confederate camp, food and services area, "mercantile" area and union camp. By the time I arrived (soon after 10 am) and throughout the day all four areas (maybe a little less on a food and service, which was kinda typical for every fair event I attended for the last eight years) provided a nice historical feeling. That feeling was supported by "civil" reenactors, dressed in XIX century clothes, and some even speaking with the relevant accents:-).

Camp view (confederate):
    43244954-L.jpg

XIX century couple (hiding the cell phone and subcompact digicam):
    43244983-L.jpg

Isn't that Scarlett O'Hara?:
    43245457-L.jpg

And her sisters:
    43245664-L.jpg

Meeting DavidTO and his kids was a nice bonus:
    43245249-L.jpg

The gallery:
    http://nik.smugmug.com/gallery/943217
    edited November 6, 2005
    Troops in camp
    Going through camps allowed a visitor to take a close look at all sorts of XIX century American war-related things. Tents and camping gear, uniform and weaponry details.. It was also interesting to hear what seemed to be "old style" military lingo.

Confederate cavalryman is fixing his sidearm:
    43243878-L.jpg

Morning review (confederates):
    43244009-L.jpg

Same at the union camp:
    43244340-L.jpg

Union officers:
    43244489-L.jpg

Rifles:
    43244918-L.jpg

COnfederate cannons are ready:
    43244751-L.jpg

"For the Dear Old Flag I Die"
    43244839-L.jpg

Real soldier will always find time to lie down and puff his pipe:
    43244876-L.jpg

The gallery: http://nik.smugmug.com/gallery/943218
    edited November 6, 2005
    Troops on the march
    Before each "battle" all the troops marched in front of the cheering crowd. Their historical unit names, as well as the names of commanding officers were announced over the PA. This gave everybody a chance to take a close look at the gear, uniforms and actually primed the crowd for the following battle scene.

Union platoon:
    43241231-L.jpg

Confederate rider:
    43241251-L.jpg

The battlefield:
    43241305-L.jpg

Confederate artillery is ready:
    43241528-L.jpg

Going into battle:
    43241725-L.jpg

Cavalry:
    43242808-L.jpg

Going to give thier lives for what they believed in:
    43243597-L.jpg

According to historical records, citizens of the Centerville actually went to the Manassas battlefiled with their picnic baskets, expecting to "enjoy a colorful show". Nobody expected it to be a first major battle of what turned out to be a "lond and costly affair":
    43242960-L.jpg

Looking at the troops marching through the dusty fields under the hot sun really gives you a spine-chilling feeling you're magically moved back in time to July 16, 1861, straight from Southern California to Virginia plains:
    43242988-L.jpg

More riders:
    43243106-L.jpg

Being in infantry is definitely not for infants:
    43243328-L.jpg

Even while resting, soldiers could not get thier minds off the forthcoming battle:
    43243428-L.jpg

The gallery: http://nik.smugmug.com/gallery/943219
    edited November 6, 2005
    Battle #1: First Bull Run
    A quote from National Park Service Heritage Preservation Site (http://www.cr.nps.gov/hps/abpp/battles/va005.htm):

Manassas, First
    Other Names: First Bull Run

Campaign: Manassas Campaign (July 1861)

Date(s): July 21, 1861

Principal Commanders: Brig. Gen. Irvin McDowell [US]; Brig. Gen. Joseph E. Johnston and Brig. Gen. P.G.T. Beauregard [CS]

Forces Engaged: 60,680 total (US 28,450; CS 32,230)

Estimated Casualties: 4,700 total (US 2,950; CS 1,750)

Description: This was the first major land battle of the armies in Virginia. On July 16, 1861, the untried Union army under Brig. Gen. Irvin McDowell marched from Washington against the Confederate army, which was drawn up behind Bull Run beyond Centreville. On the 21st, McDowell crossed at Sudley Ford and attacked the Confederate left flank on Matthews Hill. Fighting raged throughout the day as Confederate forces were driven back to Henry Hill. Late in the afternoon, Confederate reinforcements (one brigade arriving by rail from the Shenandoah Valley) extended and broke the Union right flank. The Federal retreat rapidly deteriorated into a rout. Although victorious, Confederate forces were too disorganized to pursue. Confederate Gen. Bee and Col. Bartow were killed. Thomas J. Jackson earned the nom de guerre "Stonewall". By July 22, the shattered Union army reached the safety of Washington. This battle convinced the Lincoln administration that the war would be a long and costly affair. McDowell was relieved of command of the Union army and replaced by Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan, who set about reorganizing and training the troops.

Result(s): Confederate victory

CWSAC Reference #: VA005

Union avantguard:
    43238598-L.jpg

Front lines of the South retreat to entrenched positions:
    43238762-L.jpg

More yankees troops enter the battle field:
    43238845-L.jpg

Primary South positions seem to be holding up well:
    43238909-L.jpg

Cavalrymen:
    43239047-L.jpg

Federate forces continue the aproach:
    43239469-L.jpg

South recieves reinforcement:
    43239592-L.jpg

Union troops experience a big loss but continuing fire:
    43239642-L.jpg

But evenutally under the crossfire federates had to retreat:
    43239745-L.jpg

Confederates "help" the enemy to retreat:
    43240170-L.jpg

Even cannons can be wounded:
    43240418-L.jpg

When the battle was over, almost five thousand lives were lost:
    43240270-L.jpg

The moment of silence:
    43240349-L.jpg

Luckily, it's just a game, and dead and wounded can happily return to their lives:
    43240378-L.jpg

The gallery: http://nik.smugmug.com/gallery/943220
    edited November 6, 2005
    Battle #2: Second Bull Run
    A quote from National Park Service Heritage Preservation Services site (http://www.cr.nps.gov/hps/abpp/battles/va026.htm)
    Manassas, Second

Other Names: Manassas, Second Bull Run, Manassas Plains, Groveton, Gainesville, Brawner's Farm

Campaign: Northern Virginia Campaign (June-September 1862)

Date(s): August 28-30, 1862

Principal Commanders: Maj. Gen. John Pope [US]; Gen. Robert E. Lee and Maj. Gen. Thomas J. Jackson [CS]

Forces Engaged: Armies

Estimated Casualties: 22,180 total (US 13,830; CS 8,350)

Description: In order to draw Pope's army into battle, Jackson ordered an attack on a Federal column that was passing across his front on the Warrenton Turnpike on August 28. The fighting at Brawner Farm lasted several hours and resulted in a stalemate. Pope became convinced that he had trapped Jackson and concentrated the bulk of his army against him. On August 29, Pope launched a series of assaults against Jackson's position along an unfinished railroad grade. The attacks were repulsed with heavy casualties on both sides. At noon, Longstreet arrived on the field from Thoroughfare Gap and took position on Jackson's right flank. On August 30, Pope renewed his attacks, seemingly unaware that Longstreet was on the field. When massed Confederate artillery devastated a Union assault by Fitz John Porter's command, Longstreet's wing of 28,000 men counterattacked in the largest, simultaneous mass assault of the war. The Union left flank was crushed and the army driven back to Bull Run. Only an effective Union rearguard action prevented a replay of the First Manassas disaster. Pope's retreat to Centreville was precipitous, nonetheless. The next day, Lee ordered his army in pursuit. This was the decisive battle of the Northern Virginia Campaign.

Result(s): Confederate victory

CWSAC Reference #: VA026

For this battle (held at 3 pm) I have chosen the opposite shooting position, starting close to confederate main lines:
    43232489-L.jpg

Also it was closer to artillery, of which I was hoping to get some "blast" shots:
    43232558-L.jpg

Being a cannoneer is a hard work:
    43232595-L.jpg

Union avantguard is about to enter the battlefield:
    43232876-L.jpg

"Ready! Aim.."
    43232918-L.jpg

"Fire!"
    43232955-L.jpg

Despite taking heavy artillery fire, union forces kept approaching:
    43233065-L.jpg

Southern cannons kept blasting:
    43233312-L.jpg

But federate soldiers seemed to have the nerves of steel:
    43233472-L.jpg

Finally, Jackson ordered counter attack:
    43233565-L.jpg

Gen. Andrew Jackson hisself led the assault:
    43233591-L.jpg

I can't imagine what the federate soldiers in a thin front line could think when they saw this massive attack:
    43233663-L.jpg

Although there were supported by much more numerous main forces:
    43233745-L.jpg

So they just kept fighting:
    43233787-L.jpg

Massive Southern attack:
    43233828-L.jpg

Those muskets sounded pretty menacing:
    43233869-L.jpg

Confederates kept pushing:
    43233950-L.jpg

Having the union avantguard to withdraw and retreat:
    43234114-L.jpg

However, main forces of North hold fast:
    43234222-L.jpg

Fierce firing continued:
    43234421-L.jpg

Federates returned fire the best they could:
    43234563-L.jpg

But Southern attack prevailed, and soon another line of union avantposts was smashed:
    43234697-L.jpg

Confederate armies kept firing:
    43234848-L.jpg

Union troops counterattacking despite of the heavy artillery barrage:
    43234859-L.jpg

But they were plain outnumbered and outmaneuvered:
    43235542-L.jpg

South received the massive reinforcement:
    43236062-L.jpg

And pretty soon, despite of outstanding bravery:
    43237229-L.jpg

The main positions of the Union were taken:
    43237297-L.jpg

All in all, more than 22,000 lives were lost in this battle:
    43237452-L.jpg

Moment of silence:
    43237884-L.jpg

And the ultimate joy of having being able to "come back from the dead":
    43238052-L.jpg

The gallery: http://nik.smugmug.com/gallery/943221
  • DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2005
    Hey Nik, I really like these. There's a lot or time and work put into doing that type of shoot plus all the time in post production.

You should also consider going BW or sepia on a few of them for that "authentic" old-timey look. You can become the modern era Mathew Brady of Civil War enactments photography. I'm really not pulling your leg too much. I would like to see some of the battle scenes rendered either in BW or sepia. I believe that it would add a sense of realism to them.

I'm always thinking about the market. You have a built in clientèle in the "civilians" in the photos as well as the reenactors. I think that you would be able to open up an even greater market with some BW and sepia prints.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
    ...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!
    edited November 6, 2005
    Thanks, Dixie!
    Dixie wrote:
    Hey Nik, I really like these. There's a lot or time and work put into doing that type of shoot plus all the time in post production.

You should also consider going BW or sepia on a few of them for that "authentic" old-timey look. You can become the modern era Mathew Brady of Civil War enactments photography. I'm really not pulling your leg too much. I would like to see some of the battle scenes rendered either in BW or sepia. I believe that it would add a sense of realism to them.

I'm always thinking about the market. You have a built in clientèle in the "civilians" in the photos as well as the reenactors. I think that you would be able to open up an even greater market with some BW and sepia prints.
    I will, hopefully. Yesterday it was just overwhelming. I am glad I was able to do basic stuff (filter through almost 500 pics and filter down to "only" 325 takes time:-).
    I like the idea of working more on some winning shots (I have a dozen or so I really like) and I'm curios what can be done to them.
    Just need to tacke care of some business needs first:-)
    Thank you for stopping by and your kind words!

PS
    Are you still going to post-shootout? If so - check the thread plz!
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2005
    Nik, good stuff thumb.gif

Why not geo-tag a photo or two, and use smugmaps as your mapping reference deal.gif
    edited November 6, 2005
    Good idea!
    andy wrote:
    Nik, good stuff thumb.gif

Why not geo-tag a photo or two, and use smugmaps as your mapping reference deal.gif
    Thanks! Done:-)
    http://maps.smugmug.com/?feedType=geoAlbum&Data=943221
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited November 7, 2005
    Nikko - great series of pix. I also saw your sepia conversion and it's fantastic! thumb.gif

Sorry I couldn't make it up to join you but hopefully there will be other opportunities.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2005
    Great job!

Thanks for the photos, and the naritive.

Sam
    edited November 7, 2005
    Angelo,
    Angelo wrote:
    Nikko - great series of pix. I also saw your sepia conversion and it's fantastic! thumb.gif

Sorry I couldn't make it up to join you but hopefully there will be other opportunities.
    Thanks!
    And don't worry - there is always another time:-)

Cheers!1drink.gif
    edited November 7, 2005
    Sam,
    Sam wrote:
    Great job!

Thanks for the photos, and the naritive.

Sam
    Thanks for looking, I'm glad you liked it!
    Cheers!1drink.gif
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2005
    Wonderful photos, Nikolai!

Oh, the reinactments I have missed even in the last year. OK, you and David convinced me, I shall not miss another. I hope!

I especially loved some of the later shots heavy with the smoke from the "rifle fire". And they kept getting better!

Wonderful shots!

Boy, one sure gets his/her money's worth from dGrin! A show, education, etc.

loved it, you and David. You do have another post?? MOre?

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited November 7, 2005
    Ginger,
    Thanks for looking and for your kind assessment!
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Wonderful photos, Nikolai!
    You do have another post?? MOre?

ginger
    Did you see the galleries?:-)
    http://nik.smugmug.com/Events/128343

Cheers!1drink.gif