Options

USF Spring Football Game

FearNothing321FearNothing321 Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
edited April 22, 2012 in Sports
Here are some shots from USF's Spring Football Game. This is my first time shooting college football.

7100840243_f2df1bb8e4_b.jpg
Going to the end zone by Blue Moon Originals, on Flickr

6954754182_98fe7049f3_b.jpg
Moving the pile by Blue Moon Originals, on Flickr

7100841839_0e39169f46_b.jpg
Quarterback run by Blue Moon Originals, on Flickr

6954754470_dabfb5a8ef_b.jpg
Making the pass by Blue Moon Originals, on Flickr

6954767580_e942431531_b.jpg
Cutting through the defense by Blue Moon Originals, on Flickr

6954772064_e813ce3b12_b.jpg
Cutting up the field by Blue Moon Originals, on Flickr

6954773114_1a87ef51fb_b.jpg
Throwing into the end zone by Blue Moon Originals, on Flickr

6954754736_01745833da_b.jpg
Dropped the ball by Blue Moon Originals, on Flickr
Nikon D800, Pentax K1000

You don't take a photograph, you make it. ~Ansel Adams

Blue Moon Originals

Comments

• Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2012
    I know people say that "the camera doesn't matter". They say that to make themselves feel better. These are VERY good images, but your camera is letting you down. Your skill level is well beyond the camera you are using. The only thing I don't care for is the crop of the second photo. That one is crying out to be horizontal. It feels unfairly cut off. Love the rest. I might have to rethink my position on not shooting football.
  • Options
    Scott293Scott293 Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2012
    I know people say that "the camera doesn't matter". They say that to make themselves feel better. These are VERY good images, but your camera is letting you down. Your skill level is well beyond the camera you are using. The only thing I don't care for is the crop of the second photo. That one is crying out to be horizontal. It feels unfairly cut off. Love the rest. I might have to rethink my position on not shooting football.

perroneford I totally agree with your post. He has great action shots just not the right equipment for college football.
    Scott Davis

Nikon D70,D2H,D300,Nikkor 300mm f2.8,Nikkor 80-200 f2.8, Nikkor 24-70 AF-S f2.8,Nikkor 50 f1.8

www.ScottDavis.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2012
    Scott293 wrote: »
    perroneford I totally agree with your post. He has great action shots just not the right equipment for college football.

Thank you for the compliments

Thats why I've got a D800 on order, hopefully I'll have it before the fall semester.
    Nikon D800, Pentax K1000

Blue Moon Originals
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2012
    Good on you then. I might have chosen differently for football, but the D800 is one HELL of a camera, and will let you get action shots you'll be proud of. Can't wait to see what you do with it!
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2012
    Good on you then. I might have chosen differently for football, but the D800 is one HELL of a camera, and will let you get action shots you'll be proud of. Can't wait to see what you do with it!

I know 6 FPS might not be the fastest, but I rarely use burst when I shot. If I do end up shooting sports for a newspaper or professional team, I will look into a more suitable camera.
    Nikon D800, Pentax K1000

Blue Moon Originals
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2012
    I know 6 FPS might not be the fastest, but I rarely use burst when I shot. If I do end up shooting sports for a newspaper or professional team, I will look into a more suitable camera.

Well, it's not 6fps unless you shoot in DX mode. It's 4. And I rarely shoot burst mode either, but that's not the real worry when shooting sports like football. Sometimes the "story" is not at peak action, but the moments following. And it is there, that sports cameras excel.

Mind you, I say this as a "pro" sports shooter who is using a D800 for a primary camera, but has a pair of D3s in the bag as well. It's about selecting the right tool for the job at hand.
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2012
    Well, it's not 6fps unless you shoot in DX mode. It's 4. And I rarely shoot burst mode either, but that's not the real worry when shooting sports like football. Sometimes the "story" is not at peak action, but the moments following. And it is there, that sports cameras excel.

Mind you, I say this as a "pro" sports shooter who is using a D800 for a primary camera, but has a pair of D3s in the bag as well. It's about selecting the right tool for the job at hand.

I would have to use the DX mode because the 70-200 that I have available to me is a VR 1 and it vignettes on a FF camera.

Eventually I'm gonna save up and buy my own 70-200 VRII
    Nikon D800, Pentax K1000

Blue Moon Originals