Options

1D Mark iv owners

SkorriSkorri Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
edited April 25, 2012 in Cameras
Considering purchasing this beast. I would love to hear from some of you who have a mark 4. I have read tons of reviews and curious about the auto focusing issues. Have they been resolved? Just looking for the straight poop.

Thanks, Keith :dunno

Comments

• Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2012
    Skorri wrote: »
    Considering purchasing this beast. I would love to hear from some of you who have a mark 4. I have read tons of reviews and curious about the auto focusing issues. Have they been resolved? Just looking for the straight poop.

Thanks, Keith ne_nau.gif

Never heard of any AF issues in a Mark IV. Mine work fine. Maybe you are thinking of the 1D Mark III, which had notorious AF issues??

It's a great camera for sports shooters and other action uses, but it's heavy and not easy to carry around. A 5DII will give you better IQ at less than half the price, if that's what you're after. It really depends on how you plan plan to use it...
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2012
    Thanks jhefti, I read so many reviews over the last few days I could have easily got them mixed up headscratch.gif. Will be using it for sports photography, certainly a big upgrade from what I'm using now. Thanks again.
  • Options
    David-StallardDavid-Stallard Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2012
    Hey Keith, 'sports' is a very wide subject - I have owned the mk4 for a few months and use it mainly for motorsport in all weathers. started off with the 100-400 4.5/5.6 and now use the 70-200 2.8 mk2 with extenders where needed and have not had one problem with locking onto and focusing fast moving subjects.

I really can't recommend the mk4 enough

.DAVID.
    http://www.davidstallardphotography.com/

Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2012
    Thanks David. I have the 70-200 2.8 and love it. Currently on my 60D and seriously looking at the Mark iv since I landed a spot as a sports photog for a local paper. What extenders do you use on the 2.8 and how do they affect the f when the light starts to fade ? Or do you kick up the ISO to help compensate ?

Thanks
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2012
    Skorri wrote: »
    Thanks David. I have the 70-200 2.8 and love it. Currently on my 60D and seriously looking at the Mark iv since I landed a spot as a sports photog for a local paper. What extenders do you use on the 2.8 and how do they affect the f when the light starts to fade ? Or do you kick up the ISO to help compensate ?

Thanks

Up to now I have been using just the 1.4 mk III which gives me a constant f/4 and to be fair most of my track work cuts off around 6:30pm due to the circuits curfew. As for upping the iso - I have actually set my high limit to 1600 and to be honest the mk4 just 'works' perfectly.

Not very exciting shots but a couple from last weekend

As the sun goes down and the hail storm creeps back in
    S-14-04-12-0832-L.jpg

Playing in the rain / hail - really was pretty grim
    S-15-04-12-0476-L.jpg

have the 2x mkIII arriving this week so will give that a try but from all the results have seen from the other media guys I will be more than happy.

.DAVID.

• Options
    edited April 25, 2012
    few more with the 200mm 2.8 prime (for a cheap lens it's REALLY quick on the mk4)

In the rain again for a change
    BARC-1dmk4-07-04-12-099-L.jpg

BARC-1dmk4-07-04-12-068-L.jpg

BARC-1dmk4-07-04-12-076-L.jpg

Sun did pop out briefly
    BARC-1dmk4-07-04-12-166-L.jpg

Next main race for me is a couple of weeks time so if your still unsure by then I will add some shot's with the Canon 2x extender as well.

.DAVID.

• Options
    edited April 25, 2012
    Thanks for the info and those shots, very nice. I would love to see some with the 2x. I might wait till the 1Dx comes out and hope for a slight price drop on the Mark iv, but who knows. Cheers
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2012
    Your welcome, sorry the shot's weren't any better. Here are a few taken testing out different glass.

Canon 100-400 @ 400mm
    Renault-Brands-Hatch-L.jpg

Canon 50mm 'nifty fifty'
    Heybridge-Basin-14-01-12-005-L.jpg

Tamron 90mm (love this cheap macro lens)
    Eden-Project-27-03-12-130-L.jpg

Tamron 90mm again - manual focus through glass with the 580 II flash
    Stratford-Butterfly-Farm-21-04-L.jpg

Tamron 90mm again
    Stratford-Butterfly-Farm-21-04-L.jpg

Hope that gives you a little taste of the mk4

.DAVID.

• Options
    edited April 25, 2012
    I love my Tamron 90mm as well, great lens. All great shots, cant wait to get a hold of a mark iv, might need to rent one :)