Options

Picture Download Prices

wpacker1wpacker1 Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited April 23, 2012 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
maybe a weird question, but I have never seen what people usually charge for downloads, is there usually a base price or does anyone have a idea about how much I should charge ?

Comments

• Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2012
    As per usual, the answer is: "it depends". What is your time and effort worth? Will these digital download be for a client who's paid you on contract, or are these "sales" the only money you are likely to receive? Are the people buying the downloads in a good position to simply share them with other people who'd be interested?

Digital download are a bit sticky for me. On one hand, I am selling to a lot of younger people. And they have NO interest in buying paper prints. Nor are they going to buy a $20 download. So I settled on $3 for hi-res, and $10 for original size. Now, my pricing scheme works for *ME* and might not work for you. Here's why:

1. I shoot on contract. So these downloads and print sales come on top of my contract price. In other words they are pure profit for me.
    2. Because of my contract, I am prepping files already for use. So there is no additional labor involved in preparing files for digital download or print sales.
    3. The group of people I am selling to generally are all well aquainted and I know they will pass the files around. So when I allow a download, I know I'll never make a dime off a print sale.

This is a very specific set of circumstances and yours may be quite different. So adjust accordingly.