Options

My iPhoto reduces size after editing

gopher78gopher78 Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
edited May 1, 2012 in Digital Darkroom
Does anyone have an easy solution to this. I download my pictures to iPhoto and then do some editing. Usually cropping but other changes too. If I start with a picture that is 5mb in size, after editing it is usually less than 1mb. I've wanted to upload to a sight that sell photo's but they require the picture to be at least 4mb. I tried cropping in picassa and the same thing happened. I've read that the photo software in iPhoto automatically reduces the size to best use in Facebook etc.

Any way to override this reduction or suggestions on different software?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    rich56krich56k Registered Users Posts: 547 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2012
    gopher78 wrote: »
    Does anyone have an easy solution to this. I download my pictures to iPhoto and then do some editing. Usually cropping but other changes too. If I start with a picture that is 5mb in size, after editing it is usually less than 1mb. I've wanted to upload to a sight that sell photo's but they require the picture to be at least 4mb. I tried cropping in picassa and the same thing happened. I've read that the photo software in iPhoto automatically reduces the size to best use in Facebook etc.

Thanks

I use an older version of iPhoto (and have for years) and have not ever had that problem...that said from my experience the only time iPhoto will reduce the size of any image is if you set that up to happen.

During export you have various options for both jpg compression and pixel dimensions - try compression at 'maximum' and pixel dimension at 'full size'. deal.gif

That should solve your problem...

Although without knowing exactly what your 'editing' consists of its hard to say - unless you're cropping 70-80 % of the image away!

To the best of my knowledge (I know for a fact on the earlier versions it will NOT reduce unless I tell it to) I can't imagine them changing that - even though they've changed some other options which is why I refuse to upgrade.

-rich56k
    http://HooliganUnderground.com
    Member: ASMP; EP; NPPA; CPS
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2012
    Your export dialog should look like this:

20120425-k9ybrqfqdy51gybtf9hemasyea.png
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2012
    They require a minimum file size? You're sure they aren't requiring 4MP (not MB)? A minimum image size wouldn't be that odd. A minimum file size seems very strange.

Thanks
  • Options
    MacroPhotoFlyMacroPhotoFly Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited May 1, 2012
    Is there any way to get to the export dialog (and change the settings) if its an iPad that iPhoto is running on?
    Regards,
    Mac Fly
    HomePageLink
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2012

Thanks

Well, if you crop you WILL reduce the final image size and the final file size. That aside, are you sure you are exporting a JPG at the "Maximum" JPEG Quality with a Size of "Full Size"? And you are doing a File Export, correct? I just did the that with a Canon 40D (10 MP) image and got 6.3MB out of iPhoto.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu