Floating on air.

JavierJavier Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
edited April 25, 2012 in Street and Documentary

Comments

• RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2012
    Something looks wrong with her face on my monitor. I can't explain it. It is like the dodge tool was applied too heavily to her face, or she is wearing really strange makeup. It might be JPG artifacts, or just a really odd contrast effect. Anyone else see it, or is it just me? Also, something seems really strange with the edges of some of the shadows. Just me?

As for the photograph, very nice. Enjoying the rim light. I like the textured pattern of the brick street.
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2012
    Nice comp & conversion
    Rags
  • JavierJavier Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2012
    RyanS wrote: »
    Something looks wrong with her face on my monitor. I can't explain it. It is like the dodge tool was applied too heavily to her face, or she is wearing really strange makeup. It might be JPG artifacts, or just a really odd contrast effect. Anyone else see it, or is it just me? Also, something seems really strange with the edges of some of the shadows. Just me?

As for the photograph, very nice. Enjoying the rim light. I like the textured pattern of the brick street.

No it is there and I am not talented enough to fix it. If you click on the picture you can see the out of camera Jpeg. She was sunburned or something and I was also dealing with an over exposed shot. Good eye Ryan :)
  • RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2012
    I may have misunderstood, because I'm sure you know this. Shooting jpegs in the camera is going to lead to all kinds of woes. Is that what was really going on here, some blotchy skin from a sunburn getting used and abused by the on-camera computer squashing the bits in to oblivion?
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
    edited April 24, 2012
    RyanS wrote: »
    I may have misunderstood, because I'm sure you know this. Shooting jpegs in the camera is going to lead to all kinds of woes. Is that what was really going on here, some blotchy skin from a sunburn getting used and abused by the on-camera computer squashing the bits in to oblivion?

That might be. I am a jpeg shooter as in 99.9 % of the time. In truth I rarely if ever have I seen any difference between shooting RAW and Ultra Fine Jpegs. This picture was actually my first of the day and I did not get a chance to set the exposer yet, as I shoot manual. This one not only clipped the histogram, it killed it off to the right. I doubt that RAW would have done any better. In either case, the capture is more important than quality in street photography. That very decisive moment when there is but one chance to get it. Usually :)
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited April 25, 2012
    Javier wrote: »
    . In either case, the capture is more important than quality in street photography.
    Well, sort of. We've all seen many examples of technically competent but boring pics. The action/subject is primary. Nevertheless, one doesn't generally see pics being criticized because the image quality is too high. Shooting raw gives you a little more wiggle room in post to easily correct defects in exposure and color balance at no cost at all. You're right that it's not a miracle cure for really serious problems, but for me, every little bit helps.

I like this shot. I see the issues that Ryan raised, but I don't think they matter much. thumb.gif
    edited April 25, 2012
    Richard wrote: »
    Well, sort of. We've all seen many examples of technically competent but boring pics. The action/subject is primary. Nevertheless, one doesn't generally see pics being criticized because the image quality is too high. Shooting raw gives you a little more wiggle room in post to easily correct defects in exposure and color balance at no cost at all. You're right that it's not a miracle cure for really serious problems, but for me, every little bit helps.

I like this shot. I see the issues that Ryan raised, but I don't think they matter much. thumb.gif

Agreed with all you said. One should always strive for the best possible outcome in ''everything'', but in SP sometimes you have to take what you can get. Where I draw the line personally are really in two places.
    1) Blurry images...I hate blurry images and even more when people confuse it with motion blur.
    2) I hate chopped limbs and heads when they are obvious misses. This is why I use the view finder. In both those cases, I will bin the photos 90% of the time. The exception being that it is one of my kids or grandkids and would rather have the memory. There may be other exceptions, but this is what comes to mind.
    edited April 25, 2012
    By the way Ryan,
    I really appreciate your comments. They are well written and well thought out and make a lot of sense.
    Thank you ! :)