Options

How I Spent My Week

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited April 26, 2012 in Wildlife
Hi Y'all,

For the last week I've been hosting a camera club from Illinois. We had a fine time with some good eating and lots of photo ops.

We started out in St. Augustine at the Alligator Farm's rookery

D3S4615-XL.jpg

We then headed down to the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge where the reddish egret made a special appearance
DSC4390-XL.jpg

We ended up at my favorite spot, the Viera Wetlands

The ibis were acting badly
DSC4512-XL.jpg

the young GBHs weren't being too kind to their parent
D3S3772-XL.jpg

The black crowned night herons put on a pretty good show
D3S5187-XL.jpg

DSC4684-XL.jpg

The green herons were working hard
DSC5341-XL.jpg

to serve up frog legs
DSC5109-XL.jpg

the gators popped up
DSC5236-XL.jpg

and a juvenile bald eagle passed by
DSC2156-XL.jpg
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• Options
    Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2012
    An impressive variety of awesome captures here. It looks like you had a blast.
    "Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2012
    Yep it was a blast Dick. It was good to be hanging with folks who had a real interest in photography. We traded info, talked about gear, had some fine food, mixed up some hurricanes, and did a whole lot of shooting.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2012
    I'd love to see the Vierra Wetlands some day. You always have such great variety! That looked like a fairly large alligator? And I haven't seen a Green Heron here this year, much less one dining on frog legs! Way to go, Harry! Best, Pam
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2012
    PGM wrote: »
    I'd love to see the Vierra Wetlands some day. You always have such great variety! That looked like a fairly large alligator? And I haven't seen a Green Heron here this year, much less one dining on frog legs! Way to go, Harry! Best, Pam

Come on down any time. Linda and I have hosted many visiting photographers over the past 8 years. That gator was between 8-10 feet. I hadn't seen too many green herons this year until recently. Then I found a spot in the click ponds near the wetlands where they and black crowned night herons were hanging out. The spot was filled with frogs which explains its appeal to the herons.
    Harry
  • Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2012
    Harryb wrote: »
    Come on down any time. Linda and I have hosted many visiting photographers over the past 8 years. That gator was between 8-10 feet. I hadn't seen too many green herons this year until recently. Then I found a spot in the click ponds near the wetlands where they and black crowned night herons were hanging out. The spot was filled with frogs which explains its appeal to the herons.

I have never seen a black crowned night heron here, though I look every year. Bird City here was built by Edmund's cousin starting back around 1900, and he wrote at that time that it was originally just a small spring where a few green herons nested each year. We also came across some writing that long ago the Cajuns called the black crowned night herons "gros bec," pronounced "grow beck," meaning big beak. Next year maybe I will throw out a few frogs!
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2012
    PGM wrote: »
    I have never seen a black crowned night heron here, though I look every year. Bird City here was built by Edmund's cousin starting back around 1900, and he wrote at that time that it was originally just a small spring where a few green herons nested each year. We also came across some writing that long ago the Cajuns called the black crowned night herons "gros bec," pronounced "grow beck," meaning big beak. Next year maybe I will throw out a few frogs!

Night herons are nocturnal (no surprise considering their name) so I was lucky that they found a good food source that brought them out during the day. The presence of the juvenile (the first flight capture) might mean they had a nearby nest. I see quite a few night herons when I close the wetlands after sunset.
    Harry
  • Options
    Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2012
    Harryb wrote: »
    Yep it was a blast Dick. It was good ..., mixed up some hurricanes, ...

If those "hurricane's" can provoke that I make such beautiful and often impossible shots, I will consider a few category 5's rolleyes1.gif
    "Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.
  • Options
    raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2012
    Looks like you had a great time, Harry! Nice set!
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2012
    If those "hurricane's" can provoke that I make such beautiful and often impossible shots, I will consider a few category 5's rolleyes1.gif

Never under estimate the hurricane factor. :slosh

I find I get my best results when I'm in a good mood. Attitude plays a role in your results.

Od course having the ability to stand and see helps also so moderation plays a role too.
    Harry
  • Options
    Dennis KaczorDennis Kaczor Registered Users Posts: 2,413 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2012
    A very nice set of images Harry. Put me down for #4 great shot.
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2012
    Looks like you had a great time, Harry! Nice set!

Thanks Glenn,it was a fantastic time.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2012
    A very nice set of images Harry. Put me down for #4 great shot.

Thanks Dennis, the GBHs at the wetlamds never fail to provide photo ops.
    Harry