Options

Middle School Track Meet C&C please

DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
edited May 4, 2012 in Sports
Track was added to the list of sports available to our students this year. I had never shot a track event before. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Other than being more directly lined up with the runner what else would you recommend?

1)
i-Gcgvj4C-X3.jpg

2)
i-JgSBJmL-X3.jpg
Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com

Comments

• Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2012
    Nice series

My fav is #1 because of the eyes.
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2012
    Looks like very tough lighting conditions which makes both appear a little washed out. They both could use a little more contrast and an increase in the black point to make them pop more. Both could also be cropped tighter. You really don't need to see the track surface. Cropping tight in on the runner will also help you lose some of the bright surface areas of the track.

The 2nd one is not a keeper for me. There is no athletisism in it. She looks like she is falling. This is really just a matter of timing, If you were shooting in a burst, the frames captured just before this might show better.

What lens and settings were you shooting at?
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2012
    Gee that's a tough gig - shooting straight into the light. Every hurdler is going to be in their own shadow whilst the track will be bright.
    Agree with Mike J re contrast

Keep shooting, keep posting
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    T. BombadilT. Bombadil Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2012
    Dreadnote wrote: »
    Track was added to the list of sports available to our students this year. I had never shot a track event before. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Other than being more directly lined up with the runner what else would you recommend?
    . . .

I agree with other comments, except changing crop of image 1. Looks good to me, as is. Some burning in of the track surface would help - but I like the perspective.

Raising black point a bit will help a lot.
    Bruce

Chooka chooka hoo la ley
    Looka looka koo la ley
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2012
    Thanks all for the comments and input I appreciate it. bowdown.gif The lighting conditions were and will continue to be tough as all the tracks that our district chooses to use are oriented in an east/west direction and all of the meets are in the evening. I wish more events were pointed the opposite direction to get the sun on the subject, but unfortunately that is not to be.
    Mike J wrote: »
    Looks like very tough lighting conditions which makes both appear a little washed out. They both could use a little more contrast and an increase in the black point to make them pop more. Both could also be cropped tighter. You really don't need to see the track surface. Cropping tight in on the runner will also help you lose some of the bright surface areas of the track.

The 2nd one is not a keeper for me. There is no athletisism in it. She looks like she is falling. This is really just a matter of timing, If you were shooting in a burst, the frames captured just before this might show better.

I see your point about the pics being washed out and with the second photo being past the point of peak action.

Here are a couple more from last night's track event. Same lighting conditions even though it was a different track. I tried a bit more black point and contrast, but I'm not sure I'm there yet. Also tried to get shots just prior to the top of the jump not on the falling side. Opinions?

1)
    i-FnGFWMS-X2.jpg

2)
    i-2nkW3CP-X2.jpg

Here are a couple from the only field event not back lit by the sun, the high jump. Opinions?

3)
    i-SSvgzx9-X2.jpg

4)
    i-BVdVkzb-X2.jpg

5)
    i-MhnmMs7-X2.jpg

6)
    i-cvGz7wC-X2.jpg

Thanks again to all you trying to help me work this out. clap.gif
  • Options
    CrewdCrewd Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    I don't think you necessarily need to be lined up better for your track photos. I love the leading lines in your first #1.
  • Options
    CrewdCrewd Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    Maybe tell the girls to look more hard core though when they're running? Lol
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    Hairlight Nr 2 Second Series
    Love the one of the girl (#2) in the second series with hair backlight.
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2012
    Almost forgot
    Mike J wrote: »

These were shot on my D300s, 70-200 f/2.8 at 1/1600th f/3.5 mostly zoomed out at or close to 200mm in manual mode if memory serves correctly. Some of the kids have black uniforms which plays havoc with aperture or shutter priority modes.
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2012
    Crewd wrote: »
    I don't think you necessarily need to be lined up better for your track photos. I love the leading lines in your first #1.

Good point, thanks.
    Crewd wrote: »
    Maybe tell the girls to look more hard core though when they're running? Lol

Heh, that's funny...that is actually one of the things I tell the kids before their sporting events..."concentrate, look tough and intense,...you want good photos" sometimes it works. :D
    Love the one of the girl (#2) in the second series with hair backlight.

Thanks, yes I do like the way the hair looks. If only I could pop a strobe over on the inside of the track. thumb.gif
  • Options
    roletterolette Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    Not a big fan of where you were shooting from on the high jump... it just makes them look really awkward. You want to see the graceful lines (or as close as you can get at the MS level!) as they go over the bar.

Jay
  • Options
    Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    Dreadnote wrote: »
    Almost forgot

These were shot on my D300s, 70-200 f/2.8 at 1/1600th f/3.5 mostly zoomed out at or close to 200mm in manual mode if memory serves correctly. Some of the kids have black uniforms which plays havoc with aperture or shutter priority modes.
    Thanks for posting the 2nd set. The increased black helps add depth to these. Really like #2 with the backlit hair as someone already mentioned.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2012
    rolette wrote: »
    Not a big fan of where you were shooting from on the high jump... it just makes them look really awkward. You want to see the graceful lines (or as close as you can get at the MS level!) as they go over the bar.

Jay

I see what you mean...I think I'm going to try to shoot more from the side instead of the front and see what that does to the lines, although like you said there is only so much grace at this level. Mostly I'm happy if they make it over the bar and on to to pad instead of crashing into the front of it. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    OhEddieOhEddie Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2012
    If possible. Lower you angle of view to get cleaner backgrounds. Even if you have to lay down with your head almost touching the ground.
    Blessed are those who remain flexible, for they shall not get bent out of shape.
  • Options
    budman101budman101 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2012
    Photo #1 is a winner, just a few things I would try. First crop off the bottom a bit. Showing the full hurdle moves the object of interest, her eyes, too far up the frame. First thing I notice is her leading foot. It's understood that someone jumping over a barrier is doing hurdles. Tough lighting conditions, so it makes the face look pretty harsh.
    If you have LR, lower the overall clarity and maybe the highlights and sharpening a bit to the negative side, then grab the target adjustment brush and bring her eyes back to where they are now. This may serve two purposes. 1. The look of concentration that makes this shot so compelling 2. May soften some of the background.
    If you have PS and are willing to spend the time you can mask out the background with some blur.
    www.joemallis.com
    "Most time its not the gear that makes the shot"