Options

Weather satellite imagery

puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
edited April 26, 2012 in Wildlife
Wondered if other people were aware of this resource.
It shows 2hrs worth of images, taken at 15min intervals, last one 20mins or so behind current time.
Free.
I've been using it in conjunction with other sources (Beeb mainly as am in uk) - useful to see gaps in cloud formations imo.

Only covers uk > middle east via europe and africa.

Unsure where to post, so pl. move if necessary.

pp

http://www.sat24.com/

Comments

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2012
    This is a good place for this info. Every wildlife photographer shoudl know the weather conditions and hiow the light will be before they leave home. That and knowing when sunrise and sunset are vital information.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2012
    Thanks for this info Paul. This is absolutely useful for a nature photographer.
    I live in a sub-tropical climate and have a much more stable climate. When I was living in Holland (many years ago), this info was not widely available yet with the result that I often loose valuable time shooting is less favorable conditions.
    "Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2012
    ...with the result that I often loose valuable time shooting is less favorable conditions.

Well...yours truly is daft enough to deliberately go out at such times sometimes - eg last w/end severe rain / hail was forecast, so I went out hoping to get appropriate splashes in frame.

All factors panned out ... except the subjects had more sense than me ... and were nowhere in sight, sheltering :)

But still an enjoyable situation - seeing / hearing / experiencing the seething mass of white that was the water's surface / total environment ...

pp
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2012
    Well...yours truly is daft enough to deliberately go out at such times sometimes - eg last w/end severe rain / hail was forecast, so I went out hoping to get appropriate splashes in frame.

All factors panned out ... except the subjects had more sense than me ... and were nowhere in sight, sheltering :)

But still an enjoyable situation - seeing / hearing / experiencing the seething mass of white that was the water's surface / total environment ...

pp

I love bad weather too. Whenever I see fog I grab my gear and get out there. The point is that having knowledge of the shooting conditions assists you in choosing your gear and preparing for the shooting conditions you will be entering.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"